What's new

Wake Up: Goals are Better Than Dreams

AdamC

Perhaps this goes without saying, but dreams are far inferior to goals. When I think of dreams, I think of the opening to Their Eyes Were Watching God, which says something to the effect of "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." She then goes on to contrast the dream-like thinking of men to the thinking style of women, which she says is more goal-oriented and focused--action-based.

I think she's right, first of all. Women tend to be more action-based than men, at least in the Western culture I come from where men are encouraged to "dream big." But, moreover, the futility of dreams when juxtaposed with goals is so stark it's almost embarrassing--particularly for people like me who have sometimes confused the two.

I'm sure there's a famous quote out there that says something like, "a goal is a dream with legs," or whatever. But that's essentially what I'm trying to say. A dream is a goal without a plan. And, for some people, it's just a semantic nuance because when they dream they simultaneously set goals. However, for the rest of us, I think it would be valuable to make a linguistic differentiation between dreams and goals. Saying the correct word may help us set and achieve better goals while still enjoying our dreams.

JonQuinnHubble

I agree, there is definitely and often-overlooked difference between goals and dreams. I believe dreams are used more for motivation, not necessarily something you are actively striving for. Some people benefit from lofty dreams, whereas others may find them too overwhelming. Everyone needs to find a happy medium between the two. As you say in your last sentence "...while still enjoying our dreams.", it's as simple as that. Dreams are meant to be enjoyed!

AdamC

I like what you said about lofty dreams being overwhelming. I'm definitely in that camp, which is probably why I lean more towards setting goals--they tend to be more actionable and less daunting. Yeah, a happy medium is certainly a plus.