What's new

Young adult books

anniel

I'm a middle school ELA teacher, and I'm working on establishing a classroom library to help my students do more independent reading.

I want to know what your favorite young adult books are, and/or what your favorite books were as a young teenager! Of course, books in this thread would need to be appropriate for middle schoolers.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

suleman

I would like to list out three book series, listed in chronological order:

1) Secret Seven Series - Enid Blyton
2) Famous Five - Enid Blyton
3) Hardy Boys - Franklin W. Dixon, Stratemeyer Syndicate

I read these novels series growing up, and was totally infatuated with them. Oldies but Goldies!
Highly recommended for your teenagers library. Let me know your views?

ltk20

1. Where the Red Fern Grows
2. Maniac Magee
3. Little Women
4. Anne of Green Gables

Just some favorites that I read at that age both in school and on my own.

chocory

I'm here to jump on the Enid Blyton train—one of my absolute favourites from her is The Faraway Tree series. I also loved the Inkheart trilogy by Cornelia Funke and the Oracle trilogy by Catherine Fisher (and probably most of their other works) as a young teenager.

michalaw

I loved reading The Outsider and To Kill a Mockingbird in school. I also am a sucker for romance young adult books such as Obsidian and Sarah Dessen novels, but I don't know if they are appropriate for school.

btelli

R.L. Stine books are definitely a good option. I remember in middle school it seemed like that was all anyone ever read!

Some other suggestions that I’ve read either in middle school or early high school are:

Lord of the Flies
To Kill a Mockingbird
Night
The Diary of Anne Frank
Flowers for Algernon
Harry Potter (series)
A Series of Unfortunate Events (series)
A Child Called “It”

I believe they are all age-appropriate considering that I read them myself as a young teenager but you may want to double check depending on the students’ age.

ckang96

I really loved (and still do love) the Harry Potter series. I also loved the Book Thief, any book by Roald Dahl, and the Chronicles of Narnia.

kes29

The Outsiders was one of my favorite books I ever read in middle school. Plus, it's a pretty good movie too which is always a good draw to catch a young readers attention.

I'm pretty sure I read Bridge to Terabithia in 6th or 7th grade. A rough book, but a very good book nonetheless.

I started reading James Patterson's Maximum Ride series around then as well. Stories of genetically modified children who have bird DNA grafted to their human DNA. They're out to save the world - of course. Good, quick chapter which are very good for short attention spans. Vivid descriptions. Some fight scenes, but nothing too gruesome. There's 8 or 9 books in the series. A movie - a realllllly bad movie. A few manga adaptations.

Plus. If they like him, he has some YA books for older readers as well. He's a good "transition" author if a reader likes his style.