When you had a setback how did you handle it?

amerino24

Aug 20, 2018
At first I use to get really down on myself but as I started to read I learned that whatever I think about, I bring about so that really helped me through times of adversity.

Aug 21, 2018
There are important lessons in failure. You learn what not to do, the steps in which put you in the situation you are in, and that helps you formulate a better plan for how not to fail again. It hurts to fall, but it always helps you become stronger when you stand back up.

khop83

Aug 21, 2018
Sometimes, I use a worst-case scenario to help me get through failure. For example:

Job didn't work out? Well, you've still got a roof over your head and food in your stomach, so it could be worse!
Bad breakup? Hey, at least you didn't bring kids into the nuclear fallout that was this relationship!
Promotion didn't happen? Maybe this is the company's way of telling me it's time to move on to better things.

Zeitgeist

Aug 19, 2018
I'm still trying to figure that out. If it's something that I can control, I sit back and look at the problem rationally once I've gotten past the initial emotional stage. Once I look at it, I think about what I can do to either fix the problem or what I can do in the future to avoid it. If it's a problem I can't control, I tell myself "I have done everything I can, there is nothing more I can do." which can seem negative, but I try to think of it as more of a positive mantra.

ckang96

Aug 29, 2018
I'm still trying to figure that out. If it's something that I can control, I sit back and look at the problem rationally once I've gotten past the initial emotional stage. Once I look at it, I think about what I can do to either fix the problem or what I can do in the future to avoid it. If it's a problem I can't control, I tell myself "I have done everything I can, there is nothing more I can do." which can seem negative, but I try to think of it as more of a positive mantra.
I pretty much have the same mindset. I'm usually a "go with the flow" kind of person, so when I have a setback, I simply tend to pursue a different path.

Recently, however, I experienced a number of setbacks trying achieve this one goal, and I really had to grit my teeth to make it happen. I really tried to do everything I could, and the whole time, I kept thinking that if after all that it still didn't work out, then it just wasn't meant to be.

I think you just have to set your pride aside and, depending on what you want to achieve, realize that there are more important things than whatever limits you inexplicably set on yourself.

Sep 17, 2018
Setbacks are a common part of life, as are successes. If we don’t learn to take the ups with the downs, we will only find ourselves to be more miserable & in turn, constantly thinking about the negatives rather than the positives. When I’ve been set back in something, I try my best to think about if it could have been any worse. If I can think up a logical worse outcome than what had happened, then it seems to be easier for me to take the next step out of my set back. Once you realize that there is worse that can happen, you appreciate the success that closely follows the downfall.

Jun 25, 2018
What I do is I take a deep breath, take a rest for a day to rejuvenate my demoralized spirit and start all over again. Most importantly is study the situation so that you will avoid the same mistakes in the future.