What are your favorite M-F smart snacks?

Sam_C

Jul 30, 2018
Too often during my work week, I find myself reaching for a donut, or a rich, sweet coffee (one of those complicated caramel thingys). While delicious, they’re murder on my waistline. I’d like to have some healthy go-to snacks ready for when I’m feeling peckish between meals. What do you stock in your desk drawer? I have a fridge and microwave handy, if that helps. Send me your ideas!

mr0001

Aug 8, 2018
I tend to get cravings for crunchy snacks. I also struggle with eating vegetables. One of my favorites that fits the bill for both craving and nutrient needs is baby carrots with salsa.

Aug 1, 2018
Cashews are really good for you! They're high in nutrients and help to keep you full between meals. Most nuts are the same (with the exception of peanuts, I think). If you have a sweet tooth then dried fruit would be a good choice. Mangos are my favorite. Just watch the sugar content and try to get some that don't have a bunch of additives. Some brands like to coat with sugar. When it comes to coffee and/or liquids, try drinking black coffee. It sounds gross if you've never tried it, but I used to drink my coffee with heavy cream. I decided to remove the cream and just drink it straight. This cuts down on the fat and calories. It doesn't take long to get used to. And by all means, whatever you do, stay away from energy drinks! I know you didn't mention that, but it's worth saying!

Sflom

Aug 3, 2018
I love Kraft protein packs! You can buy them near the cheese and lunchables; however, you really could create your own. They contain cheese, meat, and some sort of nut. Perfect nutritious snack for a pick-me-up during the day. I also love dried mango slices or banana chips. Clementines are also easy, since they don't need to be refrigerated. Trail mix is a great snack also for those sweet and salty cravings.

negedemeg

Aug 30, 2018
Fruit! I love strawberries and nectarines the most. I know it sounds like it's not that fulfilling but truly when you crave sweets, eating them makes you feel better and not guilty at all. It's really helped me transition from terrible snacks.

khop83

Aug 21, 2018
GNC has a line of lean protein shakes that taste pretty good. They hit the spot in the afternoon when I want something sweet, but don't want a million calories. I think they're about 170 cals each, and have ~20 g. protein. Plus, they run specials frequently for buy one get one half off, so you can pick up a few varieties on sale and try different flavors.

nhenrick

Aug 21, 2018
Definitely, my favorite on the go weekly snack has got to be those peanut butter cracker sandwiches. They happen to be the perfect amount of sweet, and just enough to tide me over from one meal to the next. They are super portable and super helpful for on the go eating!

aturbow

Aug 20, 2018
Instead of a soda or another cup of coffee in the afternoon I opt for a glass of green tea. I also tend to like sweet and salty snacks, so I make sure when I go grocery shopping I'm preparing myself for success for the week. I'm also a big fan of Smartfood Sea Salt Popcorn and some fruit or cottage cheese with fruit compote in the afternoon (clearly all of my cravings/issues are in the afternoon).

epalmer

Aug 15, 2018
Carrots and hummus! And also peanut butter and apples. I actually keep a jar of PB at my desk, so I’m always ready to pair it with an apple or other fruit or veggie.

tdp1205

Aug 29, 2018
Too often during my work week, I find myself reaching for a donut, or a rich, sweet coffee (one of those complicated caramel thingys). While delicious, they’re murder on my waistline. I’d like to have some healthy go-to snacks ready for when I’m feeling peckish between meals. What do you stock in your desk drawer? I have a fridge and microwave handy, if that helps. Send me your ideas!
A handful of pistachio nutmeats (I get unsalted ones at Trader Joe's) and some grapes or berries really hit the spot for me. The fruit satisfies my sweet tooth, while the nuts give some filling protein. I also like low-fat string cheese sticks; Weight Watchers makes a tasty jalapeno pepper one that is great if you like spicy food.

tdp

jay05

Aug 29, 2018
Alabama
I always keep a large container of almonds and a jar of all-natural peanut butter (the kind with one ingredient: peanuts) with a spoon. I will usually have a handful (15-20) almonds mid-morning and some days a giant spoonful of pb straight from the jar. It's delicious and filling, and provides a tiny thrill of doing what your parents said not to do as a kid and eating straight from the jar. (But always wash the spoon afterwards.)

To replace sodas, get the fruit juice of your choice and some club soda/seltzer water (to the extent those things have any difference whatsoever). Mix 3 or 4 parts seltzer to 1 part fruit juice. It will have the fizz of a soda with way less sugar, plus it's cheaper.

kes29

Sep 10, 2018
I'm part rabbit, so I always have some sort of fresh fruit or veggie on hand. But sometimes that's just not quite filling enough.

I like peanut butter with celery or crackers. Protein from the peanut butter is good to hold me over until the next meal. And if I'm out of crackers, I've been known to just eat a spoonful of peanut butter.

If I want something sweet, I usually do something like fresh strawberries and a single serving size pudding cup and do an easy and healthier version of chocolate dipped strawberries.

Nick90

Sep 10, 2018
Since you have access to a fridge, I'd suggest hard boiled eggs. Super cheap and easy to make, protein-packed and quick to eat. No sugar, no carbs. You can put a little salt or hot sauce for flavor.

Sep 29, 2018
I love snacking on string cheese during the day, it's a relatively filling snack food. Also cheese and apples taste really good together, and apples are a lower sugar fruit. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/apples-and-diabetes#section3
Another savory item that's probably going to sound a little odd is turkey bacon, I cook a batch on a baking sheet in the oven at 400 for 20 minutes and eat a couple of pieces for a snack. It's less expensive than purchasing beef or turkey jerkey and usually has less sodium and sugar.
It's super easy to make your own snack mix too. Usually the only dried fruit that's easy to find without sugar added is raisins. The golden ones, mixed with raw almonds and pecans and some dark chocolate chips is a yummy snack mix that's easy to keep on hand. It's filling and helps with sweet cravings, which is my weakness!
For drinks, most coffee shops carry sugar-free syrups and low-fat or alternative milk options. A lot of the artificial sweeteners aren't healthy, but they don't tend to impact blood sugar as much as cane syrup and high fructose corn syrup, it also lowers the calorie count. Most grocery stores stock little purse-sized liquid stevia bottles too, if you want to just keep your own natural low-calorie sweetener on hand! Try simpler coffee drinks that don't have a lot of different syrups or flavors, it's usually a little less expensive and easier to keep the calorie count lower.

laforth

Sep 28, 2018
Greek yogurt (pumpkin pie flavor is my fave right now!)...trail mix...protein granola bar...goldfish...cheese stick...sliced banana sprinkled with cinnamon...

lsullivan

Oct 4, 2018
Triple zero yogurts are a good source of some protein and carbs. you want to try to eat something with some protein in it bc it will hold you over longer. cheese sticks, yogurts (low sugar), deli meat, pretzels, etc. There are a lot of healthy snacking ideas. It's all about moderation and quantity.