What's new

Well-behaved women rarely make history.

Genevieve

Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Although this quote came about at a time when women didn't have as many rights as they have today, I think it is still relevant today. In a post-feminist world where equality has not fully been achieved, I am curious how others relate to this quote. It always inspires and motivates me!

Ssandra

I absolutely agree!! Love this quote. I don't take it as an "I can be a bitch to everyone", but it does mean to me that I can stand up for myself, not have to be "nice" all the time, and if people don't like it... that's their problem, not mine...

waldemar

There are also a lot of people in history that are well behaved for example Mary the Mother of Jesus, St. Zita, Mother Theresa of Calcutta and many other religious figures maybe it depends on the situation however you can be nice and well mannered at the same time be famous because your characteristic is what touches people the most for example you are a very kind-hearted person then people will remember it for your especially when you made a difference on a lot of people's lives.

Ssandra

There are also a lot of people in history that are well behaved for example Mary the Mother of Jesus, St. Zita, Mother Theresa of Calcutta and many other religious figures maybe it depends on the situation however you can be nice and well mannered at the same time be famous because your characteristic is what touches people the most for example you are a very kind-hearted person then people will remember it for your especially when you made a difference on a lot of people's lives.
I do not know much about religion, but Mary mother of Jesus got pregnant out of wedlock and she is not famous for being herself. Her only action of importance in the bible is being a carrier of the baby, which does not count.

Theresa of Calcutta by all standards was a horrible woman, who did a lot of good deeds. But she was not nice or friendly at all.

I do think that the quote means more that to behave according to the norms society sets for us women means never to advance, never to make a rimple. It does not mean to be a bitch, but also does not mean to take everything lying down.

For example, did you know that women are less likely than men to ask for a raise? Because we were educated (generally speaking) that asking is bad. That "boasting" is bad. So if you want to get that promotion, be the first woman to become CEO of that company, you will have to behave in a way that is not commonly associated with women.

Tiajanay

I do not know much about religion, but Mary mother of Jesus got pregnant out of wedlock and she is not famous for being herself. Her only action of importance in the bible is being a carrier of the baby, which does not count.

Theresa of Calcutta by all standards was a horrible woman, who did a lot of good deeds. But she was not nice or friendly at all.

I do think that the quote means more that to behave according to the norms society sets for us women means never to advance, never to make a rimple. It does not mean to be a bitch, but also does not mean to take everything lying down.

For example, did you know that women are less likely than men to ask for a raise? Because we were educated (generally speaking) that asking is bad. That "boasting" is bad. So if you want to get that promotion, be the first woman to become CEO of that company, you will have to behave in a way that is not commonly associated with women.
I agree that women have too long mistaken being a good person for being well behaved and well like. I know myself I love children and consider myself an awesome teacher and parent but that doesn't mean people think that I am a well liked person. I know I'm doing good for others even if others don't like my attitude