What's new

Video Journaling

katz91

I have started keeping a video journal over the past couple months in addition to my regular writing one (was watching Felicity and got inspired), and I have noticed that they benefit me differently. I think the video allows me a faster stream of consciousness, while the writing helps slow down my thinking. Does anyone else video journal? Have you noticed this as well?

mcad4

That's fascinating! I've considered video journaling but never worked up the courage to do so myself; I get nervous seeing myself behind the camera, and hate hearing the sound of my own voice. How do they benefit you differently than writing? What do you speak about -- do you have a structure, kind of like a vlog or podcast, or is it more stream of consciousness? How often to you watch recordings of your video journal entries?

katz91

That's fascinating! I've considered video journaling but never worked up the courage to do so myself; I get nervous seeing myself behind the camera, and hate hearing the sound of my own voice. How do they benefit you differently than writing? What do you speak about -- do you have a structure, kind of like a vlog or podcast, or is it more stream of consciousness? How often to you watch recordings of your video journal entries?
Hi! So glad you are considering it. I definitely think you should bite the bullet and try it. If you HATE it, just delete the video. I was hesitant to get in front of the camera as well, but I think it is valuable to see yourself and how you discuss things and use your body. I noticed that I even avoid eye contact with myself when talking about difficult topics! I think when you are talking and able to hear yourself, you start to see patterns. When you are writing, in order to see repetition, you have to look back, and it is easier to avoid. I don't really have a structure for my vids (though I now think this is a good idea!), but I try to give updates on my life and how I feel about it. It is definitely stream of consciousness. I often play them back, but not all the time. One time, I just read a poem I liked, and that was it. It can be anything you want. I think that's the beauty of it. I hope this helps.