What's new

Using the rock bottom as a springboard

RalphAnthony81

I never understood how sad I was on the inside until I hit bottom. I never understood how frustrated I was until I hit bottom. I never understood that I needed to make a change in my life until I hit bottom. When it happened I wasn't sure what was happening. I had this wave of sadness and helplessness rush over me. It encompassed me from the outside in and the inside out. I had never known what hitting rock bottom was until that moment. Over the course the previous year I had become very disillusioned by my job and with each passing day the anger and anxiety grew. I would argue with my girlfriend about work, wake up with a feeling of dread to start my day, project the stress of my workload on my girlfriend. It was terrible. And so on that snowy day, January 4th to be exact, I saw a sponsored ad for a Lewis Howes webinar about making life changes. With every audio clip, it spoke to me a little more, and then a little more, until I reached the point of tears and proceeded to cry on/off for four days straight. By not acting on my feelings about making a change, speaking up to my superiors, not acknowledging how my life was making me feeling, I was playing the victim. By not admitting the truth or stating the facts that surround you, you create a victim role. I've never been a victim but judging on how I was acting, I knew the role very well. That's when I put my foot down. It was that day, January 8th, that I drew my line in the sand and said I would never cross line again. On that day my tears were gone. They were replaced by a feeling of excitement, knowing that I was making the necessary changes for a better me. I started listening to his podcast (which I highly recommend) called "The School of Greatness" as well as enrolled myself into therapy. Those two changes opened up a world that I had shut the door on. A world that was happy even in the face of stress or disappointment. A world that embodied peace and wellness. One that doesn't side step your emotions just because a not so nice email came though. I learned that happiness comes from within and that no job or situation should ever dictate that. I learned that taking a deep breath and mentally removing myself from a stressful situation will help preserve my own feelings of self worth. But most of all, I learned to smile more and realized that hitting rock bottom sprung me in action to finally helping myself. The last six months have been the best six months of my life. Things are falling into place. Opportunities are presenting themselves. But the best part is the genuine happiness I have now, knowing that everything will work out, and that is the true feeling of success.