What's new

Trying to eat better

JohnK

Does anyone have any advice for staying focused on eating better? This is one of the hardest parts of trying to stay healthy, I've found. I can start off fine, but then after a week or two I fall back into my old habits. Any advice is welcome...

Omar1292

I think the best way to eat well and have more healthy body and diet is to long plan based not very strict diet. For example you eat 5 unhealthy things in a day , make them 4 and replace this thing another healthy thing that you still like and do it for couple of weeks/months and you will get used to that than try to reduce them to 3 and so on. Your body will be used to less unhealthy food gradually, your mood won’t be affected by lack of sugar or you won’t feel like you are depriving yourself and instead you would stop some of your bad habits in eating forever.

ShannonMarie

I agree with Omar. I think the things is to just start small with swapping out some unhealthy foods for more healthy options. I also think it is important not to go all in at once. At least, I know that when I do that if I slip up even at all, I just quit all together. I also just straight up dont buy stuff that I shouldn't be eating. Like there are just some foods that I know I will binge, so I try not to buy them.

I'd recommend an app called MyFitnessPal, which is, at least in my humble opinion. the very best app on the market when it comes to tracking calories and macronutrients. Did I mention it's also free? Yes, you have a premium option, but a free version works just fine. It really did and is still doing wonders for me. Try it out, you won't regret it.

Does anyone have any advice for staying focused on eating better? This is one of the hardest parts of trying to stay healthy, I've found. I can start off fine, but then after a week or two I fall back into my old habits. Any advice is welcome...
Do you have a cheat meal planned? if you keep on dieting 24/7, you are bound to get bored or resort to old eating habits pretty soon. Speaking from personal experience it really helps me remain focused on my diet plans. Thing to note here is that its a cheat meal not an entire day of cheat meals like some people believe. My cheat meal is usually in the afternoon which gives my body plenty of time to digest it all.

nature_boy

A good place to start might be to just try to introduce more vegetables in every meal. Like you, I find it really hard to quit the good stuff cold turkey. Instead, I'm just trying to gradually introduce more good foods into my diet. For example, if I go to a restaurant and order a burger, I'll order a salad instead of fries. It's not the best, and ideally I wouldn't be eating a burger at all, but if I'm going to do it then at least I can compromise with myself and get make it a little bit healthier!

Trey.ru.iii

The difficulty with eating healthy sometimes is that we have unrealistic expectations for how healthy we must eat. When the term 'eating healthy' comes up, we immediately associate it with loads of colorful exotic vegetables and ancient grains with a whole salmon and a glass of kombucha. Not only is that expensive, but it is out of reason for most of us. Rather than focusing on achieving that unrealistic standard, what is truly more important to our health is not eating unhealthy. What i mean is rather than forcing yourself to consumer only superfoods, shift your attention to forcing yourself to keep very unhealthy, processed foods out of your system.

In addition, drinking an adequate amount of water everyday is the most healthy choice you can make for yourself.

cloverdawg23

I recently started a new fitness program that I LOVE. It focuses on four keys, but is very reasonable and I never feel starved (ie - I still have ice cream almost nightly). Actually, it encourages you to go back for more if you want! The other part is that exercise is optional. And while I try to still exercise 3-5 times a week to enhance my results, it's nice that it isn't mandated! I've lost about 20 lbs since the end of May. :)