What's new

Things You Need To Know About The Book: Eat That Frog by Brian Tracy

Andre_Forlan

Yes, this is a book for people like me; procrastinators.
Eat that Frog is one of the best productivity books that I've ever read. It taught me the benefits of hyper-focusing on a task at a time.

Just as the title depicts, a frog is the least animal you could ever find attractive. Now, try imagining chomping on some frogs - not a pleasant picture, I guess.
The author used the book title as an analogy to describe the unpleasant tasks that we dread doing.
In this post, I will share the basic nuggets you can get from this amazing book.

Set Goals: this is one of the best ways to beat procrastination. Write your top 10 goals for the year on a piece of paper. This will give you clarity to choose the grossest "Frog" you need to ear first.

Use the 80/20 principle: it's also called the Pareto principle. It involves using small efforts to get huge results. This book tells you to focus more on those tasks that require less efforts but yield great results. I call this: working smart.

Break down your goals into tiny portions: it's easy to get overwhelmed when you want to complete a goal in one huge step. To solve this, break your goals into micro-goals.

I know I must have missed some important nuggets. So, I need your contributions. Remember, procrastination is the thief of time.

NeuroSkillz Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for sharing, Andre.
Sometimes I've had trouble with this advice as I was putting off eating the frog for so long, I could have gotten other tasks done in all the time avoiding it. But I found that it takes practice and mindful thinking about how much better the day would be with the biggest, ugliest frog eaten first... and fast! It doesn't taste any better dragging it out. When I combined Tracy's advice with Kaizen, or the one-minute principle, I found that I could build momentum off of that one minute of giving something a try and before I knew it, the frog was eaten and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be either.

I still struggle with procrastination, but i find that I'm getting better and better at avoiding it all the time.