What's new

The Value of Patience

Daedalus

Patience. That little virtue that encompasses... waiting. Waiting for the opportune moment. Waiting for our luck to turn. Waiting for a green light.

Waiting for an answer.

It goes beyond that, doesn't it? It's waiting...with poise, with calm. It can be as simple as not letting the traffic get to you at a red light, or as complex as getting out of your own head as you whittle away days, weeks, months, working on that project that's going to change everything.

So, what has patience done for you?

RalphAnthony81

Patience is something that's miraculous and can help create a magical moment out of nothing. As I've gotten older I've learned to be more patient, which in turn has helped me become more appreciative of life's little moments. It comes with experience, comes with a set of unspoken rules, comes with new level of respect for yourself. If you cannot be patient for things that don't necessarily matter then you will never be patient for things that do. Patience has taught me to pay more attention to the fabric of a moment, what it took to get there, and how I should savoy the experience. It helped instill a new sense of respect for everything that I try to accomplish everyday. We get so caught up with always moving because life doesn't stop. You'll never know where you're going if you don't slow down to see where you are or where you came from from.

mcad4

Patience is one of the most valuable virtues to have, but it's also one of the most difficult to attain! The only way to grow in it is by being placed in situations in which you must be patient. Waiting is something that's becoming more foreign in Western culture, and I, too, worry that it will make us less appreciative the moment when a certain task is accomplished or that special thing is finally attained.

I agree, you must aim for the little things before you're equipped to wait for more important things. For me there's often a lot of internal kicking and screaming when I'm placed into positions in which I have to 'be patient' for something, and I don't see the products/growth in my character along the way. But it's special to reflect and compare my character to where it was just a few years ago and see that I, in fact, have grown in many ways, and how patience has allowed me to be a better person, care for others better, and to appreciate life more.