What's new

The importance of hobbies in my life

JJ1203

After a decade of focusing solely on being a wife and mother I realized that I had completely shut off the "me" in my life. I finally came to a crisis point and had to do some serious soul searching to figure out what happened to get me to that point.

Before motherhood I loved to paint, draw, sew, and make jewelry. I loved relaxing by a pool or body of water and just reading. As a mom, I inadvertently quit doing all of the things that I loved to do just for me. I realized I didn't even know what my favorite color, food, or movie was anymore.

When this realization hit me I knew I had to make some big changes! However, I was afraid that my husband and daughter might not respond well to me making drastic changes to my priority list. What I found is that they not only were not hurt but were much happier. My husband got the woman back that he had married and felt he had lost to a mom purse. And my daughter now sees the importance of balance in life and gets to actually have fun with her mom on a deeper level.

What hobbies have you given up to be a "responsible adult"? Have you had a similar experience? I'd love to hear from others that have been through this or may be in the midst of it now.

Last edited:

happygolucky

I've always loved being creative, so much so that I've fought to make sure that I have the time and energy required to make these things a priority. This means that my life isn't as glamorous or as successful as it might be otherwise, but it's infinitely more enjoyable. Like you, I enjoy sewing and I've come to love drawing and I've dabbled in painting and making jewelry, too. This helps keep me sane; I think these things are a necessary balance to doing what other people need from me. I'm glad you're rediscovering your love for creativity!