What's new

The First Step is Always the Hardest

jacque_mich

Something that I've encountered a lot recently, both within others and struggled with myself: getting started. Making the first step is always the hardest. A task seems so much more daunting when it looms on the horizon. Once you've started, it is something that you are actively doing, working on, achieving. It has lost its power over you, and is no longer quite as frightening. Some examples of this for me: when I started working out, going back to school, starting a job in a different field. These things all required me to move outside of my comfort zone, but once I started them, they moved inside of my comfort zone. Neat how that works, right? Anyone else have experiences similar to these?

r.nuno29

This is something I struggle with too. I was on vacation for a week early this month and I'm still trying to motivate myself to get back to the gym. I know its just a matter of getting off the couch and driving over there! Once I am at the gym, things get easier. It's just a matter of taking that first step.

btelli

I have a hard time with getting started working out. I’ll be motivated to start, and get it done, but then a super busy day comes along or it’s raining when I really wanted to go for a long walk, and it kind of rains on my parade and I lose the will to do it at all. Then the cycle starts again.

The same goes for new jobs. Sometimes I’ll feel like I want to find something different so I start looking, but after a while I realize I’m comfortable where I’m at even if it’s not perfect and I start to weigh the pros and cons. I end up avoiding change, even though I’ve dealt with it so well in the past.

I guess starting the first step is something we just have to truck through. Sometimes the second or third step is even more difficult than the first, but in order to reach goals and feel good about our accomplishment we just have to push.