What's new

Teen motivators

My teen daughter is quite heavy. She was a goalie for her soccer teams since she was 5. She was a beast. Now at 16 she has gained so much weight. The whole family tries to support her. No junk food is in the house. The family is active. Our oldest son is also a goalie and is going off to college in England to play at an academy. We have gotten her gym memberships and are willing to go too. Three of the five us are vegetarian as well. We are at a loss.

What are some things we can do to motivate her to get healthy?

bjfdaisy72

I can only assume that you have ruled out any medical issues like thyroid, horomones imbalances, an eating disorder, or depression.

I attempted a vegetarian diet, and found I was gaining more weight than I ever have before. Some theories suggest that it’s more important to eat for your body type. For example, low carb diets can be more beneficial for certain body types. I cannot use a low carb diet. My metabolism is too fast and I tend to feel light headed.

When you are speaking of motivation, I am left with the assumption that she is not active and you are in need of motivating her? Have you tried to make it a competition at home? Since your children are involved in competitive sports, could this help motivate her? Have you tried with clothes for certain goals she completes? Have you tried setting up a schedule that the entire family goes together to work out? Is she doing something she lives when working out?

Delia B

I would check into medical issues, and while there I would also talk to the doctor about different diets that might work best for her. If she's not motivated, she might need to find something she likes, maybe a Zumba class or some type of dance exercise class. Good luck :)

I can only assume that you have ruled out any medical issues like thyroid, horomones imbalances, an eating disorder, or depression.

I attempted a vegetarian diet, and found I was gaining more weight than I ever have before. Some theories suggest that it’s more important to eat for your body type. For example, low carb diets can be more beneficial for certain body types. I cannot use a low carb diet. My metabolism is too fast and I tend to feel light headed.

When you are speaking of motivation, I am left with the assumption that she is not active and you are in need of motivating her? Have you tried to make it a competition at home? Since your children are involved in competitive sports, could this help motivate her? Have you tried with clothes for certain goals she completes? Have you tried setting up a schedule that the entire family goes together to work out? Is she doing something she lives when working out?

She is happy lifting weights- less happy with anything cardio. We checked thyroid and Hashimotos too. Carbs have her gain for sure. She eats well at home. Meals are prepared and there is really no fast food. I can’t control what she eats when she is at work or school. Ugh

We have tried to establish milestones... lose first 5 and you get a movie of your choice, iTunes card, laser tag day....

Sigh

WendyM

It might be worth finding out if she's eating for emotional reasons; maybe she'd be willing to talk to a counselor or therapist. I was slightly overweight as a teenager, but the more my family commented on my weight and tried to control my diet, the more I ate when they weren't around. I learned as a young adult (through therapy) that I turned to food rather than deal with what was really bothering me.

bjfdaisy72

I like Wendy’s point. I find with my young adult son, the more I tell him, the less he listens. This is a growing and learning time for them. As long as she’s eating healthy at home and excercising is a family goal, I think you are doing the best you can. Give her good examples, but maybe let it go talking about it. Actions speak louder than words. I completely agree with getting a therapist for her to talk too.

Thank you for the input. She does see a counselor. He is wonderful. I agree with you - emotional eating, annoyed at our frequent new ideas to help. We will keep doing all we can to support her without hounding. Thank you!!!!!