What's new

Stressful Parenting

Delia B

So I have noticed lately that there have been a lot of "mom shaming" going on. I don't know, if
this is because influx of social media or what. I, feel, like for previous generations, parenting wasn't
as hard as it is today. I can honestly say, the only time I feel like I'm being,
shamed is when I'm in public with my kids and they decide that they no longer want to listen to me.
When I see another parent going through this, I try to give them a small, and say we have all been
there. So, I guess my question is, what do you do in this situation?

jtribbett1

I'm a mother of a 3-year-old and I definitely overwhelm myself with literature on how to be a good parent. But I think the bottom line of it all is to step back from the situation and really listen to what your child is trying to tell you through their actions. My son has a speech delay which is frustrating for the both of us because he hates being misunderstood but I literally can't understand what he's saying. I've had to step outside of my own frustrations and cater to his. I don't know if this answers your question, but I've learned the biggest part of actually getting my son to listen to me is me being patient with him, letting him come to me and most importantly listening to myself and my instincts to guide me. Parenting is clumsy and messy so the best you can do is be fully present with your children and just try to be what they need.