What's new

Staying out of the YouTube, Netflix, Hulu rabbit hole

marv226

I'm sure I am not alone in this. I sit down at the computer with good intentions of getting some work done. I'll work for a little bit then decide to take a break, so I head on over to YouTube or Netflix or Hulu. I tell myself that I'll only watch for a few minutes. The next thing I know, the sun's coming up and I'm two seasons deep into "The Goldbergs." What advice can you offer this Netflix addict? How do you stay on track when there are so many distractions?

Cleverviolet

I’m not sure I’m the best person to give this advice because I love Netflix etc too! But I’ve been using a timer and it’s helpful. I work for an hour, then take a break for x minutes. Or the pomodoro technique - work 25 min, break 5 min. Having clear time limits helps!

marv226

I’m not sure I’m the best person to give this advice because I love Netflix etc too! But I’ve been using a timer and it’s helpful. I work for an hour, then take a break for x minutes. Or the pomodoro technique - work 25 min, break 5 min. Having clear time limits helps!
You are absolutely right. I know I SHOULD stick to strict time limits. I like the work 25, break for 5 idea. I will give that a try. Thanks for the advice and best of luck keeping on track,

MelissaSharpe

This is my vice as well! I finally had to uninstall & hide the apps to keep me focused so I can only watch on my TV. I even had to take my social media & game apps off my work laptop because it was so easy to get distracted just checking a notification and going down the instahole.