What's new

Sleep and Memory

Uncle Dil

How many hours of sleep do you need a night in order to feel you are at full capacity with your memorization? I watched a documentary a while back indicating that 8 hours minimum is required for adults to fully function in everyday life. Is this feasible for anyone out there? I know that I personally have a lot of difficulty reading/grasping concepts when I don't get enough sleep. Anyone else out there like this?

Edzky_18

How many hours of sleep do you need a night in order to feel you are at full capacity with your memorization? I watched a documentary a while back indicating that 8 hours minimum is required for adults to fully function in everyday life. Is this feasible for anyone out there? I know that I personally have a lot of difficulty reading/grasping concepts when I don't get enough sleep. Anyone else out there like this?
Maybe that documentary is right. Ever since I was not able to complete the straight 8 hours sleep for almost 3 years now because of my babies, I noticed that my memory had a really significant drop down.

Uncle Dil

Maybe that documentary is right. Ever since I was not able to complete the straight 8 hours sleep for almost 3 years now because of my babies, I noticed that my memory had a really significant drop down.
You should read more into the literature if you are at all interested in the subject matter. There are studies showing an increased mortality rate for individuals who work night shifts. I imagine your lack of sleep as well as hormonal changes of pregnancy may have some effect on your memory. Do you find yourself forgetting daily things? Or is it more long-term things you are forgetting?

Edzky_18

You should read more into the literature if you are at all interested in the subject matter. There are studies showing an increased mortality rate for individuals who work night shifts. I imagine your lack of sleep as well as hormonal changes of pregnancy may have some effect on your memory. Do you find yourself forgetting daily things? Or is it more long-term things you are forgetting?
It's more of the daily things...it is usuallly like I'm talking about a certain thing or person then I can't remember the name or something about it... so I just make a blah blah like I'm kind of stupid. Sometimes, it really frustrates me afterwards. I also thought tgat maybe I should go back to reading books to improve my memory.