What's new

Self-Care Habits

Jerz0

I'm taking an herbalism class and we recently discussed how self-care is essential for good health. What's your favorite self-care habit?

nature_boy

I recently started taking yoga. I'm not what you might call "nimble", so I started taking yoga as a way to help stretch my muscles and keep loose. Turns out yoga is good for the body and the mind. The breathing techniques you learn in yoga class are similar to those used in meditation, and there are plenty of studies that link meditation and controlled breathing to overall happiness. So if you don't already, take a yoga class!

Akita

Excercise has proved to be therapeutic for me. Lifting weights, specifically. My apartment offers me a free gym that I use three to five times a week.

Edzky_18

I regularly check my blood pressure. I don't know but it has just become a habit. Maybe because my hubby is also doing it and I check mine whenever he check his. I do it every week or every other week depending on my husband's schedule.

hayeske

Mine probably isn't the best example, but I get up every morning at 6:30am to make sure I have time to myself before I have to get ready for work. I work early, so I only get 30 minutes, but it's enough time to have a cup of coffee that I don't have to guzzle and to read or write for a few minutes. It makes me feel good to have 30 consistent minutes every day that are just mine.

mr0001

Shoutout to @nature_boy - I also find yoga very helpful with centering and calming the mind.

At the end of the day, when I'm in bed, I concentrate on each part of my body (toes, fingers, arms, legs, neck, etc.) one by one and focus on relaxing them. I learned this practice in a yoga class and have found it useful when my mind is racing with too many anxieties.

katz91

I am currently on my self care journey, but I try to make sure that I get in enough water every day, and read on a daily basis. This helps me to disconnect from social media and my screen in general. I think the reading is my favorite part. Beautiful words really inspire me.

Well, I am not saying that I practice these yet, but here are some of the routines that I look forward to implementing. In addition to my 30 days 100 push-up challenge (I am on day 11), I plan on waking up at 6 AM every morning no matter if I have work to do or not, then I'll proceed with a 5-minute shower routine, and who knows maybe in the future I'll be taking cold showers as well, as they are extremely beneficial for your willpower and overall health. I also heard that when the body is exposed to low temperature it tends to burn white fat cells.