What's new

Quitting full-time job and freelancing for full-time income

ben_paul_22

My current job is far more than a 40/hour/wk commitment, and I'm tired of being tired, plus spending less time at home with my family. And because of my hours, I'm often thinking about work at home, and I've finally decided it isn't healthy and I want to make a change.

I've been writing on the side for several years, but I'm now serious about becoming a full-time freelancer. There are plenty of logistical hurdles, but first, I just need to tell myself I can do it and keep writing more and more.

My goal is to be able to quite my full-time job by January.

hladik

If you have enough money saved in case it doesn't work out and your family supports you (it might get a bit hard if they don't agree), I say go for it. That is, of course, if you already can have a good income from your freelancer jobs.

Akita

It's an admirable goal, and I wish you the best of luck achieving it. Freelance work certainly has its benefits that can't be ignored.

Edzky_18

I have the same thinking that's why I'm building up my online profile and has started doing blogs. I hope I could encourage my husband to let me quit and be a full-time freelancer at the same time a full-time mom. I like it when I'm the one directly taking care of my children.

ben_paul_22

Thanks, everyone. Working building up somewhat of a portfolio before completely taking the plunge. But I'm getting there!

Agreed on the kids thing...I would at least be able to drop-off and pickup my kids if I was freelancing and working from home versus relying on daycare.

Human8

Sounds good, especially if it can save you on daycare in addition to the hassle and expenses of commuting. I was able to do so in 2008. Recently I've done some staffing work after I got too optimistic assuming I could replace or exceed my income with Amazon writings...but between Upwork and small writing businesses am back into it.

epalmer

I hope you succeed! That would be so wonderful to get to spend more time with your family - I have friends who have done this and have never looked back.

aturbow

It's so nice knowing I'm not alone in this! I've been having the same thoughts and am wanting to transition into full-time freelancing eventually. Good luck to you!

EliGray

My current job is far more than a 40/hour/wk commitment, and I'm tired of being tired, plus spending less time at home with my family. And because of my hours, I'm often thinking about work at home, and I've finally decided it isn't healthy and I want to make a change.

I've been writing on the side for several years, but I'm now serious about becoming a full-time freelancer. There are plenty of logistical hurdles, but first, I just need to tell myself I can do it and keep writing more and more.

My goal is to be able to quite my full-time job by January.

I think this is an incredible thing that you're pursuing, I hope that you do well! Some of the key tips that I've learned about freelancing are doing your first jobs for a low price to get a really high rating super fast, then being able to write in multiple styles to fit different jobs that you might get. Another thing that helps me is taking a "Power Hour", which is in a sense completely dedicating an hour to doing one specific task and nothing else, then taking a small break to let your brain breathe a little bit. Finally, use multiple freelancing platforms and websites, and you have yourself a career! I wish you the best of luck my friend! :)

ben_paul_22

I think this is an incredible thing that you're pursuing, I hope that you do well! Some of the key tips that I've learned about freelancing are doing your first jobs for a low price to get a really high rating super fast, then being able to write in multiple styles to fit different jobs that you might get. Another thing that helps me is taking a "Power Hour", which is in a sense completely dedicating an hour to doing one specific task and nothing else, then taking a small break to let your brain breathe a little bit. Finally, use multiple freelancing platforms and websites, and you have yourself a career! I wish you the best of luck my friend! :)
Thanks! I have heard a couple of those tips...currently working on the first one!

ben_paul_22

Sounds good, especially if it can save you on daycare in addition to the hassle and expenses of commuting. I was able to do so in 2008. Recently I've done some staffing work after I got too optimistic assuming I could replace or exceed my income with Amazon writings...but between Upwork and small writing businesses am back into it.
Agreed. Saving the daycare expense and commuting (my current commute is about 25 miles each way...50 miles/day saved in gas and mileage on the car really adds up...) will be huge when I eventually get there. That will certainly help me bridge the gap between my current salary and what I'll be making when I first start freelancing full-time.

Ecoleman24

Working at a job that is unfulfilling or just plain makes you miserable is an awful thing to endure (I've been there and I don't miss that soul sucking pit of despair). Freelancing can be difficult and you have to be your own motivation but it can be done! If you decide to do so I wish you the best of luck.

Zeitgeist

The biggest bit of advice that was given to me was that if you're planning on freelancing full time, make sure that you always have something in the pipeline. As I was told, you have to be thinking two projects ahead at all times just in case your current project falls through or in case you can't find something for a little while. They also said to make sure to track everything and to know your rights as a writer.
I think it's a really admirable goal to want to freelance full time, especially since it's to spend more time with your family. Good luck!

ImagineIt!

I wish you the best of luck. I think the befefits of freelancing far outweigh the drawbacks. Having said that, I feel I should mention something no one seems to have brought up. As a freelancer, I am constantly fighting challenges to my time from (usually) well-meaning friends and family who seem to think that because I don't go to an office (except the one down the hall from my bedroom), that I'm available for last minute errands and rides and all manner of things that, if I did them would leave no time whatsoever for working. You'll have to make it clear to all those close to you that during work hours, you're WORKING. You're not available to go out for coffee anytime they call or to provide emergency babysitting or anything else that would take you away from work. Unless you set boundaries that are clear and non-negotiable, you won't be a freelancer for long.

nfilas

I quit my full time job when my first child was born 3 years ago. Within the last year I began online tutoring and babysitting for extra income. This is my first try at freelance since I don’t have a portfolio of any sorts. Since I began staying home I’ve thought many times about freelancing but for many types of writing require a lot of work before real money comes in which is why in the meantime I decided to supplement with the tutoring and babysitting. Good luck!