What's new

Proper Sleep Hygiene Changes Everything

dansecaribe

Good day to anyone reading this,

Today I want to share a few tips for proper sleep hygiene, which is something many people struggle to maintain. I for one, have had trouble sleeping for most of my life. Having an anxiety disorder means your brain is constantly awake and aware of absolutely everything, which can make falling asleep seem like an impossible fantasy. But with sleep being one of the main factors that influence our mood and stress tolerance, I decided took matters into my own hands and began a few rituals to ease my sleeping issues and enhance my overall health. Through the years, I have learned a few tips that now help me fall asleep quicker and easier than before. Here are some of them:

1) Read before bed: This is one of the things that will always help me fall asleep. If I stop obsessing over my endless thoughts and focus instead on a nice story or chapter from a pleasant book, my mind will shut down as the minutes go by. I tend to read on my phone in the dark with night light setting.

2) Music: I am an audiophile, which means I need to listen to music throughout most of my day. I used to fall asleep to my regular assortment of tunes, which are mostly upbeat 80's synthpop and new wave. Turns out, this is not the most relaxing thing to fall asleep too (shocker), for I tend to daydream about dancing with friends instead of falling asleep. Fortunately, there are many relaxing jazz and ambient playlists on streaming services that are super soothing to listen to. There is an app called SleepGenius which I often use for this as well, and guided meditations are a huge help too!

3) Aromatherapy: I am a sucker for scented things, and have found that diffusing lavender oil at night an hour before bed helps me get relaxed and ready for bed. If you do not have a diffuser, try laying a few drops on your pillow. This works wonders! A nice warm bath with a calming body wash alongside some lotion is also another wonderful way to go to bed on a peaceful high.

4) Herbal tea: Try drinking some herbal tea a couple of hours before bed to wind down. Just don't drink it right before bed. If you're anything like me, you'll be rushing to the bathroom as you fall asleep!

5) Exercise in the late afternoon: Anything from a light walk, biking for a bit, yoga, or some cardio in the late afternoon (6-8 pm) usually tires you out enough to wish you were in bed by the time it's 10 pm.

6) No social media past 8 pm: Perhaps the most important tip of them all. Do not go on social media before bed! I know it's tempting, with all the jokes and memes on Twitter and the eye-catching posts on Instagram. But this makes a huge difference in the quality of your sleep. Allowing yourself to focus on yourself and your needs instead of whatever the entire world is up to late at night will keep your prepared for rest and for whatever will come tomorrow. You can always catch up on what is up with the world during the morning.

I hope these tips help you all as much as they have helped me! Try them out Do you guys have any other tips for those struggling with insomnia?

JJ1203

This is a fantastic and helpful post! I seem to have much in common with you in this area. Reading, soothing music and aromatherapy are a huge help for me. In addition to no social media I went further and really try to not even look at my phone for anything after a certain time. On top of these things I found a couple of supplements and herbs that are helpful. As I have the same issue as you with the herbal teas I found that tea earlier in the evening is good but taking a capsule or tincture form of the herbs that calm me just before bed is helpful. On a side note about the reading... I found that I have to be very careful that it is not a novel that I am totally engrossed in! Otherwise I end up reading until the wee hours or the book ends. For this reason I try to stick to either my Bible, non-fiction, or classic novels for bedtime reading.

dansecaribe

Hi JJ1203,

Thank you for your response. And yes! I completely forgot to mention not to read anything too thrilling! I often tell myself "I'll only read one chapter" and will end up reading the whole book! Non-fiction and classic novels are definitely more appropriate. What herbs and supplements do you recommend? I have tried CBD oil and Inositol for my OCD and they have helped me a bit.

This is a fantastic and helpful post! I seem to have much in common with you in this area. Reading, soothing music and aromatherapy are a huge help for me. In addition to no social media I went further and really try to not even look at my phone for anything after a certain time. On top of these things I found a couple of supplements and herbs that are helpful. As I have the same issue as you with the herbal teas I found that tea earlier in the evening is good but taking a capsule or tincture form of the herbs that calm me just before bed is helpful. On a side note about the reading... I found that I have to be very careful that it is not a novel that I am totally engrossed in! Otherwise I end up reading until the wee hours or the book ends. For this reason I try to stick to either my Bible, non-fiction, or classic novels for bedtime reading.

Ssandra

Thanks! I have issues sleeping as well and although I know I should be better about it, it is difficult sometimes...

I second the part about reading something not too exciting. For me, it helps to read something for the second or third time, so I already know what is going to happen. If I read Stephen King, I'll keep reading until the book is over...