What's new

Professional Success

hg93

Backstory: I've always been the kind of person to worry about the future, my career, success, etc. and what that means to me. After two years of working, I decided to quit my job and travel alone for 7 months. It was easily one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life.

Now since coming back home, I find myself struggling to figure out what I should do next in life. I want to be successful (to me that means working a normal work-week, having a good personal life balance, finding time to reflect and grow, having enough money to live comfortably, etc.) but I'm having trouble deciding to settle down, apply to jobs, and get back into the professional world.

Any tips on re-transitioning back to "normal" life and how to have a balance while also finding success?

RalphAnthony81

I think that you had a life changing experience but your vision of success has remained the same. After someone does what you did, they will need to realign their vision so it runs parallel with their improved version of themselves. You're going from one extreme to the other while trying to maintain an equal footing but unfortunately it's a going to be a rocky road. I think jumping in all at once will be more detrimental; too much change too quick is not good. I would recommend creating some lists; one list for things you like, one list for skills you have, and one final list of positions that you see a future in. From there I would on hop on some job hunting sites and use those lists to make weekly job searches. This way you're putting positive, productive energy out into the world and have an awesome chance of the position you truly want coming to you. If you're still struggling, I think also another beneficial move is to possibly back to school to help expand your knowledge and network.