What's new

Powering-Down

ethanez

Like many, I often have difficulty shutting off my thoughts and relaxing at night. I have tried meditation but I was wondering what techniques/things you all use to relax after a busy day? This is especially important to me as I love a good night’s sleep (who doesn’t?), but my thoughts sometimes prevent me from getting into a relaxed state.

BrigS

Like many, I often have difficulty shutting off my thoughts and relaxing at night. I have tried meditation but I was wondering what techniques/things you all use to relax after a busy day? This is especially important to me as I love a good night’s sleep (who doesn’t?), but my thoughts sometimes prevent me from getting into a relaxed state.
One of the most important things to try is to get offline at least an hour (if that's impossible, go for half an hour) before bed, and don't take your phone with you. It can be tempting to keep checking mail, especially as we all get busier, right up until we fall asleep. But, unless you have a true emergency, honestly there is very little that can't wait until morning. The issue is twofold: first, the constant influx of information turns on our brains, and we keep thinking about everything from job responsibilities to relationship stress; second, the light created by phones and computers in and of itself, is a problem. The bright light-- that mimics dawn-- sends a message to our brains that it's time to get up. Try shutting down social media before bedtime to shut down stress.

JaronAlexander

Try not to focus so much on becoming relax, but feel what you have to do to become relax. Like taking a walk, shower, cleaning your shoes or whatever.

ethanez

Try not to focus so much on becoming relax, but feel what you have to do to become relax. Like taking a walk, shower, cleaning your shoes or whatever.
Thanks for the advice. I have actually found that cleaning up at night while listening to music helps me calm down and I am still able to accomplish something. I have started to do it every night and have seen great results!

ethanez

One of the most important things to try is to get offline at least an hour (if that's impossible, go for half an hour) before bed, and don't take your phone with you. It can be tempting to keep checking mail, especially as we all get busier, right up until we fall asleep. But, unless you have a true emergency, honestly there is very little that can't wait until morning. The issue is twofold: first, the constant influx of information turns on our brains, and we keep thinking about everything from job responsibilities to relationship stress; second, the light created by phones and computers in and of itself, is a problem. The bright light-- that mimics dawn-- sends a message to our brains that it's time to get up. Try shutting down social media before bedtime to shut down stress.
I keep reading this and I realize that it is so true! I have been trying to find strategies to prevent myself from using my phone close to bedtime but it is especially difficult. I did not realize how completely reliant I am upon technology. I've stopped watching Netflix before bed and usually place my phone quite far from my bed so that I can't reach it. I am working on getting up to an hour of screen-free time before bed, but it is a challenge!