What's new

Positive self-talk

chocory

I think that a huge setback to anyone's progression in anything (school, work, relationships) is negative self-talk. Once something bad happens, we often associate it with ourselves and think "it must have been because I did this or said that" or "I can't do this, other people are better, I shouldn't even try". What do you find helps you in getting rid of that negativity and replacing it with positive, uplifting self-talk instead?

Last edited:

DMooers

Great questions! I have struggled with positive self-talk for a long time. I've learned that thanking people helps jumpstart me into positivity. Also, not taking the negative side of everything always helps me become happier. For example, if I am late I don't say "Sorry I'm late", instead I say "thank you for waiting". These types of methods help jumpstart my positive self-talk and get me back on track.

rejuvenate

For me, when I catch myself beating myself up, I pause and I used the Byron Katie questions. Is it true? (Yes or no)... If it is a yes. can you ABSOLUTELY know it it's true? And If not, when you believe that thought what happens? How do you react? And then I ask myself, who would you be without the thought. This helps me to pause and reframe my thoughts. I also find.. getting up and just shaking it off or walking around helps to shift moving the negative thoughts out. I find what Tony Robbins says, to change your psychology you need to change your physiology and invite movement into your body.

John S

Great questions! I have struggled with positive self-talk for a long time. I've learned that thanking people helps jumpstart me into positivity. Also, not taking the negative side of everything always helps me become happier. For example, if I am late I don't say "Sorry I'm late", instead I say "thank you for waiting". These types of methods help jumpstart my positive self-talk and get me back on track.
Great question and answer. I love the "thank you for waiting" quote. It is easy to get caught up in negatives in our daily lives and it is good to have things like this thread to help get back on track.