What's new

Perfection Stopping Progress

ldlittle

Hi All! I'm in the process of creating an online course for a Hoop Company. It's a fitness and nutrition course that I've poured my heart and soul into for the past three years. What I'm finding is that I am constantly second guessing myself on whether my content is "good enough". I'm going back and constantly redoing - so instead of releasing a course that could benefit many, it basically lives on my computer in the pursuit of perfection. Anyone have any tips to combat this feeling or need to have a perfect product before releasing it?

S

sunshinegal

Do a focus group so you can get some balanced, other person comments about where to focus the last push of edits/opportunities for improvement and the strengths of the curriculum. The first step is realizing that your course doesn’t impact people if it isn’t live! Good luck.

ldlittle

Do a focus group so you can get some balanced, other person comments about where to focus the last push of edits/opportunities for improvement and the strengths of the curriculum. The first step is realizing that your course doesn’t impact people if it isn’t live! Good luck.
That's a great idea - thank you so much

neoninfinity

I sometimes feel the same way. That the need to always be perfect sometimes keeps me from making progress on my goals. The following is a quote from an article that I recently read: "The pressure we put on ourselves to do everything perfectly can be suffocating. But, if you shift your mindset from focusing on being successful to finishing what you set out to accomplish—regardless of the results—you’ll find it’s suddenly easier to keep going. "

Hopefully, this will help you finish your course. Remember, even if it's not perfect, you can always improve on it and release an updated version later. Good luck!

Rae1234

Writing is a science as well as an art. Just hire somebody to review your work and give you feedback. If you're second guessing yourself, its probably because it needs a little work - probably not much - but you've just been so close to it that you can't see it. That's all.

You may find out that you're really good and that feedback will clear the cobwebs from your perception of yourself. You may find out that you aren't as clear as you think in communicating your ideas, and that's perfect. You want to find that out before you release it, definitely not after.

I'm an editor and proofreader on freelancer.com and I'm available to help you if you're interested. I would definitely give you a very fair rate.

michalaw

Hello! I think it is important to remember that perfection isn't real. It only hinders us from chasing our dreams, because we want to make sure everything is perfect. You could be developing content that could help someone so much, and that in itself is so rewarding!

Moty_Vatyd

With fitness and nutrition information I think you need to be sure it's all correct. If it is then let it loose upon the world. I know that in the fiction writing realm a lot of authors use the term Minimum Viable Product or MVP. Once they have an MVP, they publish. It's usually not perfect. Some times it's not even close, but they would rather release content at a fast pace than get bogged down in paralysis analysis. I've heard YouTubers saying the same thing. If they don't put a video out at least once a week they start to bleed subscribers. So, they put in as much effort as they need to in order to get to the MVP stage and they publish. For perfectionists it's a difficult thing to do though.

jacque_mich

I struggle with this as well. One way that I combat it is with a time limit. I either know how long a project should take, or look up average time for the project, and allow myself that amount of time to work on it. Normally, it is enough time to complete it and review it up to two times. If I find myself going back over it again and again, sometimes I will ask for someone else's opinion at that point, especially if I feel like I missed something important. Most of the time, it is more of a hesitance to share the work. Things we work on become part of us or our ideals sometimes, and it takes confidence to share that.