What's new

Negative Nancy

natjacobsmeier

Hi forum friends!
I want you to think about how many negative thoughts you have in one day. One day only.... quite a bit isn’t it? It’s become something we are accustomed to, traveling through our day to day tasks and not even realizing how many bad thoughts our minds are absorbing solely from ourselves.

We always hear that society is saturating our minds with negative, bad, or dirty things. Which is another topic in itself.. but in another level of this, we are the ones who get first choosing of what we tell ourselves. If we give our mind positivity, then we are better off ignoring the societal negativity. If we do in fact give our mind negative thoughts though, that societal influence has a much better chance to squeeze itself in.

Comment below—
1. How many times you think negatively through one day
2. Ways you overcome it?
3. One self love, positive message you’d like to tell yourself! (NO JUDGEMENT HERE)

Yomna

Yes I completely agree. Negative self-talk is one of the most sabotaging things one can do to themselves. I never really used to monitor what goes on in my mind until recently when I moved into holistic coaching and found that I had never really been kind to myself in my thoughts.

I've tried a few ways to overcome it and the most successful thing I have found to work for me was that when I would catch myself thinking negatively about any issue, I would immediately think of something to be grateful for. Not necessarily something huge. It could be as subtle as the way the glass windows look when the sun hits them and to really feel grateful for being blessed to enjoy this moment. I found that this quickly silences any negative gremlins shouting around in my head. :)

I constantly try to focus on self-love because it is a work in progress for me so I guess one message I would like to tell myself would simply be "You are enough".

jacque_mich

I love this post! It is very important to give yourself positive feedback. One way to avoid the constant negative thoughts for me is: is it something I would say, or even think, about someone else? I think people should be as kind to themselves as others, and not in a self-deceptive kind of way, more of a willingness to focus on the positive. I think that encouraging and recognizing positive things in yourself is more likely to encourage those things to grow. In the same way, the qualities we are not as interested in expounding on will dissipate if we don't spend so much time thinking about them.