What's new

Music for concentration

nature_boy

What kind of music do you throw on when you want to concentrate, study, or get work done?

In college, I majored in history. The majority of my life was reading books and writing papers for four years. If you majored in history, english, or anything else for that matter, then I'm sure you were familiar with the long nights and early mornings too. In an effort to keep the creative juices flowing (and keep myself from falling asleep), I searched for the right kind of music to help get through the seemingly endless nightly reading assignments. After sampling different genres to find what worked and what didn't, I finally landed on jazz. Hard-bop stuff like Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk and John Coltrane. Not only did it keep me upbeat and energized, it didn't have any words to pay attention to. It just flowed, and the information I was processing seemed to flow with it.

So I'm curious to hear what everyone else listens to when you need to get stuff done. Jazz? Classical? Death metal?

bmcd16

I am a big fan of The Piano Guys station on Pandora when I’m trying to get in the mood to do some work. The instrumentals are just really relaxing to me, and they have a great mix of classical music and contemporary covers without distracting lyrics intermixed.