What's new

Moving to a new place and building routine

katz91

So, in a couple of days, I am moving to a new country to teach English as a second language, and I want to use this opportunity for self improvement. I want to get a regular workout routine, eat in a healthier way, and have a regular writing schedule. As a teacher, I will probably be getting up early. Should I exercise in the morning or evening? When should I write? Any ideas would be helpful. I really want this time to be productive.

tploeger

I would work out in the evening. With so many big changes happening there's no need to make your habit building harder by getting up even earlier than you usually do to work out. My advice would be to bring your gym clothes to work with you and go exercise right when you're done work. That way you can go home and relax instead of having to go home only to leave again soon after to exercise.

katz91

That makes a lot of sense. I always thought that getting up early would be good in order to get it out of the way, but I think I am going to try it the way that you suggested, and see if I am consistent. Then maybe when I get home, I can get in a little writing time. Thanks for the advice!

nature_boy

How exciting! I've thought hard about doing this myself, but always brushed it off as a pipe dream of sorts. I would be curious to hear about your experience!

When it comes to your routine, I've found that exercise is the most important part. Whether you work out in the morning or the evening, you should definitely get into the habit hitting the gym as much as you can. I work out in the morning. In addition to getting it out of the way, I've found that it makes me more productive at work. Everyone is different, but maybe writing is a good way for you to decompress after a long day. The important thing is to try different things and find out what works best for you!

Sam_C

Congratulations on your new opportunity, katz91! You must be so excited. Getting into a regular routine may require trial and error. When I first started exercising, I scheduled my workouts in the morning and writing at night. Unfortunately, the pool was too crowded in the a.m. I wasted up to an hour waiting for an open lane. By the time I got around to writing, I had put in a full workday and was too tired to pick up a pen. So, I reversed my schedule. Now, I get up early to write. The house and street outside are wonderfully quiet in the morning. I can write in peace with a fresh mind. At night, the pool is less crowded, and is the perfect place to wind down my day. I recommend trying a few different schedules to see which one works best for you!

katz91

Thanks everyone! I think I will start off trying to exercise in the morning, just because I am afraid I might put it off if I wait until too late in the day. I enjoy writing more, so maybe I will be more likely to do it even when I am tired. That's my logic any way lol. And if it doesn't work, I will try reversing it like Sam_C.