What's new

More hours in the the day

RalphAnthony81

I've been finding that lately there aren't enough hours in the day to get things done. I try to budget my time properly, make sure I stay focused but when I'm getting into bed each night, I feel like I could've done more. Now usually it's something minor that was missed as I typically get all major tasks done first. I work a full time job, do stand up comedy at night as well as try to pick up acting and freelance writing gigs. For the most part I feel satisfied with such a hectic schedule, but I have these moments where I question what I actually got done. I try to maintain that the quality of the work accomplished outweighs the quantity accomplished but it can be frustrating since there is a sense of accomplishment that we all love to feel. We want to be productive and get as many things done as we can. In the past couple months I've been finding that I can get more things completed from the hours of 11pm - 2am. There's also this calm feeling knowing that most people are asleep and by working these hours I am getting further ahead. But since I am up later working, I cannot wake up early, and instead, I set my alarm for 830-9am. So essentially I created this weird work cycle that somehow works for me but it can casue my personal life to take a backseat at times. You need to have that balance in life. Which almost seems like a insurmountable task and it shouldn't be. There should be time for everything. Why do we have to sacrifice one for the other? Don't get me wrong, I love the hustle of it all, I just wish it was easier. As the famous quote in The Shining goes , "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy," and while I know I won't be chasing my family around an abandoned hotel with an ax, I still think that quote holds merit. You become dull if all you're doing is working, not to mention all that work will eventually burn you out. There's life worth living outside the work we do but we almost always forget that. That in and of itself is a shame. I don't believe in the 'work hard, play hard" mindset and find it quite antiquated. That grind it out lifestyle our parents, grandparents went through does not maintain the same validity that it once did when they were our age.

How do you balance your life? Do you feel like you're sacrificing anything? What tips do you have?

Hello Ralph, I find this post very amusing, you are a true inspiration. I mean, working a full-time job plus taking freelance writing gigs is something that I always thought was impossible. Until I read your post that is. Yes, it is a hustle, but you should be proud as most people aren't that hard-working. But I do recommend taking some time off because all that hard work might take a toll on your health. As for myself, I have trouble concentrating on my work sometime and I often feel uninspired. For that reason, I wish the day could be longer.