What's new

Mind Palace

Daedalus

This is about the mnemonic device known as the mind or memory palace.

The object is a little rough to get used to, but the process is simple.

First, you imagine a place you've been to many, many times. Preferably, a place with memorable rooms and a clear path from place to place.

Next, you consider the information you're trying to memorize, for instance, the names Brian, Morgan, Zeke, and Charles.

In your imagination, travel to the first location. Then imagine an absurd, but memorable image that you attach to the information.

In our example, lets say in the first room, you see a giant, pulsing brain. The Brain named Brian. Go to the second room.

In the second room, let's say we see a covered corpse on a steel table. Like a Morgue. Morgan's Morgue.

In the third room, a fat zebra wearing a ballcap. That's Zeke.

The fourth, its just Patrick Stewart in a wheelchair. That's obviously Charles.

Last, you memorize the journey between the rooms. You walked to the first, found the brain. You walked to the second, and found the corpse. The third, the zebra dude. The fourth, Charles Xavier.

Mentally, walk through your mind palace enough times to get comfortable with the journey. Each time you encounter the mental image, you'll find the link to the item you were trying to memorize.

mhess

This has always helped me! I first discovered the idea of a "mind palace" when I started watching the show "Sherlock." Super fascinating. My mind palace is more of a cosy mind cottage, but to each their own!

Daedalus

The best palaces are places you've personally explored so much, they're solidified in memory. For me, its High School. Lots of rooms down a specific corridor, each room already possessing its own meaning.

To go further into this, this is a method of using your imagination and already-established memories to abbreviate a list of things to memorize. In essence, its a sorting method.