What's new

Making time for self development

jay05

There are so many recommendations out there for being the “best” version of ourselves, what to do as well as what not to do. Academic studies are consistently proving that there are numerous and diverse physical and psychological benefits to eating right, exercising enough, meditation and breath work, getting enough sleep, practicing mindfulness, and random acts of kindness. It is great news for society that we are now so clear on what we need to do to become happier and healthier, but incorporating these practices into everyday life isn’t always such any easy task. What are some of your best tips for balancing our busy lives with those things that are of the utmost importance to our mental, physical, and spiritual health?

I agree with you! It's really hard sometimes. I try to organize my day so that I prioritize my health first, meaning even if I'm short on time, I rarely skip a healthy meal or a workout. Same with sleep, it's very rare that I don't get at least 7 hours unless I'm doing something really exciting. I don't meditate anymore, although I did it daily for years. I've found honestly that the less I put between me and my work, the better. For example, I used to get up, eat, listen to something motivational for an hour or two, make a list of 10 things I'm grateful for, say affirmations, visualize, write out goal statements, meditate, etc... and the next thing I knew it would be noon and I wouldn't have started my work. All this stuff can be great, but the most important thing I think is to prioritize your time so that the actions that will move you towards your big goals are getting done. I still do incorporate some of these things into my morning routine, but my suggestion is to keep it short and sweet. Do just enough to get you focused on what you have to do for the day, and then get started. Yes--having the right mindset is crucial. But remember, taking action is the only thing that will bring results. Also, I've found that it's what you do in the 30 minutes that pop up here and there that adds up in the long run. Meaning, you don't necessarily have to read or watch motivational videos for hours every day. Just a little bit here and there will really add up.

JTiara23

I have a huge issue when it comes to trying to be the "best version" of myself. I want to lose weight and be more healthy and happy, but I find myself not having the motivation to do so. And then when I come across an old picture of myself when I was more in shape, I end up becoming highly motivated, and I might practice eating good and working out for all of a week if that. Because I procrastinate alot, I never end up where I want to be, or where I need to be. Of course this ends me right back where I started, wanting to lose weight, while being more happy and healthy. Any ideas will be appreciated.

I have a huge issue when it comes to trying to be the "best version" of myself. I want to lose weight and be more healthy and happy, but I find myself not having the motivation to do so. And then when I come across an old picture of myself when I was more in shape, I end up becoming highly motivated, and I might practice eating good and working out for all of a week if that. Because I procrastinate alot, I never end up where I want to be, or where I need to be. Of course this ends me right back where I started, wanting to lose weight, while being more happy and healthy. Any ideas will be appreciated.
I have 2 ideas you could try out. First, let me just say that I totally think I see where you're coming from. I've been trying to get back into as good of shape as I once was too for the past 6 months or so. Since you said that seeing old photos motivates you, why not hang up some of the photos or place them where you'll see them every day? Maybe even get in the habit of looking at them then visualizing yourself getting back there for a few minutes every morning and before bed? My other idea is to learn as much as you can about healthy diet and exercise. I've found that understanding more about weight loss, nutrition, and different diets has helped me a lot. Like, I'll be at the grocery store about to buy junk food, then I'll remember something I read about it in a book, and put it back lol. Good luck!