What's new

Life and career changes

jacque_mich

I gave a short talk to a University 101 class recently about my status as a non-traditional student. The instructor met me at my internship, where I am learning more about my second career choice of editor (I actually went back to school to be a college English professor and then switched to editing). The subject has come up more than once about it being okay to change your mind. I went to school for a 2-year degree and took my test to be an RVT (Registered Vet-Tech) when I was 21, worked in the field for a while (12 years), and about halfway through that decided I would like to go back to school. The truth is, I could no longer see myself doing my vet-tech job when I was in my forties, it wasn't sustainable for me. My husband has been incredibly supportive, wanting me to do what I feel passionate about, and I have a need to just keep learning, expanding my mindset and knowledge. I took more classes at a tech school and then transferred into my current university. My first career gave me a great starting point, and something financially sustainable I could continue to do while in school again. I was raised with the belief to do what I love, and so far I'm on number 2 of doing things that I love (career-wise) and couldn't be happier that it came in the order that it did. With the students, I talked about not feeling trapped in what they had first decided in high school. I encouraged them to follow through with their plans, but if they found other things they were passionate about, well then, that's part of what school is for, right? Has anyone else had this type of experience?