What's new

Lessons I Have Learned about Happiness

JJ1203

In my life, the most important lesson I have learned about the secret to happiness is all about being content in my circumstances. As I have learned to be content with my circumstances, no matter how good or bad they appear, I have discovered that my level of happiness is highly impacted by my level of gratitude for what I do have in life. When I focus on being grateful for my circumstances instead of what I wish they were, happiness seems to follow naturally.

What lessons have you learned about happiness? How much does your perspective of your circumstances affect your happiness?

Lei Mercado

I totally agree with this! When I was younger, it was easy for me to look what my neighbors have on their plate, rather than to be thankful of what I have. This naturally led me to envy, and despair. But as I grow older and wiser, I have come to the realization that happiness is a choice, and that circumstances are not a reliable source of it. It is how we look at what comes to us, and how we make the most out of it.

M

magikheart

I think happiness comes with wisdom. I've noticed over time that people always seem to hate they way they look and never want pictures taken. However, when you look at pictures taken even a few months ago, you always think "Wow, I looked so good." Since I realized this, I think happiness is easier for me. I tend not to worry what others think now.

waldemar

Before when I was younger all I was thinking is how to get rich however my point of view has changed regarding happiness in life it is all about sharing and giving back to your love ones and others it is all about finding your religious meaning because life is not all about material things because in the end you can't bring it with you on the after life it is all about the good things that you have done here on earth that what matters most so I conclude that happiness for me is doing good things to others because I think that is the purpose of humanity.

chsarahahmed

In my life, the most important lesson I have learned about the secret to happiness is all about being content in my circumstances. As I have learned to be content with my circumstances, no matter how good or bad they appear, I have discovered that my level of happiness is highly impacted by my level of gratitude for what I do have in life. When I focus on being grateful for my circumstances instead of what I wish they were, happiness seems to follow naturally.

What lessons have you learned about happiness? How much does your perspective of your circumstances affect your happiness?
I agree with you, gratitude is the biggest source of happiness. I've seen that we as humans are never exhausted from wanting more and more, and no matter what we achieve there is always a feeling of emptiness. But whenever I am grateful about something, not only do I feel happier but I also feel like my blessings grow in abundance. It's like the Universe giving you back. It's an amazing concept.

lashley101

Hello JJ1203,

I couldn't agree more with your post regarding contentment and gratitude. I've done quite a bit of thinking on the notion of "happiness" and have come to conclude that it is a word that is many times elusive and not a practical word to describe what it really is we are chasing after. We all say we want to be happy, but I think that oftentimes we say that without even knowing what that really means, you know? We hear the word "happy" so much that after awhile I think it actually loses its meaning, becomes rather lackluster, and that leaves us chasing after something elusive. Besides, if we view happiness in terms of a state of perpetual "feeling goodness" then I think its obvious to say that, that kind of "happiness" is not realistic. We all go through ups and downs in life that are either internally produced or externally produced. When we all the sudden feel sad, angry, etc. sometimes we think "ugh I just want to be happy." But again, what does "happy" even mean when we say we want it.

This brings me to my next point, which is what you talked about regarding contentment. I like the word content more than happy for several reasons. For one, I think that contentment is more realistic and achievable. For example, I could have had a terrible day at work but come home and be content with the fact that I have a job that pays the bills and that it allows me to have essential items and more. Contentment, for me, is like this deep appreciation and gratitude for what I have and in recognizing that it delivers a sense of calm and peace within the current state of my life.

Overall, if I had to characterize happiness I think it defines bursts of short fleeting moments that are there in a flash and gone ever so quickly. Which is why I think it can be unhealthy and rather depressing when we say "oh I just want to be happy," as if it should be so simple. I think what we really mean to say is, "I really want to be content and satisfied with my life, where I'm at, and where I will be. "