What's new

Learning to Say No

neoninfinity

I think one of my biggest obstacles to achieving a balanced life is my difficulty in learning to say "no." At times, this inability has left me feeling overwhelmed and overextended. I'm getting a little better at saying "no," but I still feel obligated to accommodate everyone's wishes. Does anyone else struggle with this issue? Any suggestions on how to overcome it.

aturbow

I do! It is SO hard to say no to people, especially friends and family. I have found for myself that as I get older, I'm more confident in my ability to say "no." I think as I age and mature I realize that I don't need to be doing things all. the. time and it's important that I spend time with the people I really want to and do the things I want to do. Life is too short to be pressured into doing things you really don't want to do. It might sound selfish, but you need to put yourself first and remember that if you're overwhelmed/busy/don't want to go somewhere that is OK and I think once you start saying no and listen to yourself you'll not only gain more confidence in saying "no" more and more but you'll be happier.