What's new

Learning to accept critique

A while back I had this client who didn't like my work. But instead of just accepting the fact that not every client will be satisfied with my work, I let this affect me in the worst ways possible. Now I find myself filled with self-doubt so I was wondering if you could give me some advice on how to overcome this feeling?

Master

I feel like the answer to this is to become your own worst critic.

Criticism is often not bad, It can give us some good insight in what we're doing wrong.

However, don't take it to personally and think that you're worthless just because somebody said something about your work.

Finally, use it as a motivation to improve your work, rather than to discourage yourself.

Ssandra

For me it is two fold.

1. I don't ever react to critique in the moment. I always wait at least one night of sleep. I have ADHD and part of that is having extreme sensitivity to rejection. Any type of critique feels like rejection. It almost physically hurts. However, that is temporary. If I don't take it serious and don't react and just ignore the fact that I feel awefull, the next day I don't feel so strongly about it anymore and I can look at it more clearly.
Which is when I do step 2

2. Take what is useful and disregard what is not. For example, they may not like my writing. I think about why. Was the briefing they gave me not clear enough? Can I change something in asking questions that will help in the future? Are they insane? Did I not give my best work? How can I do better in the future? etc.
Sometimes the answer is simply "they are assholes and expect the moon and stars for $5 USD...".