What's new

Learning Photography

aturbow

Hi All,

I currently work in communications and would say I've lightly dabbled in photography on the side. As I think about wanting to do more freelance work and what that might look like, I'm thinking about going the photography route (whether it's just more of a hardcore hobby or something I could translate into full-time work is up in the air).

I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 and would like to learn how to use it in a better, more advanced way. Can you please provide recommendations on how to better learn to use my camera and free, online courses to learn how to better edit my photos?

Thanks!
Lexi

EliGray

Hey Lexi, this is going to sound silly, but go watch a ton of YouTube. Haha I am photographer with a portfolio, and have been for quite some time. I looked for some books and other aids on the subject but nothing had anything near the amount of freedom and variety that YouTube had. On there you can find anything from which lens to use for which shot, to composition of shots, to how to edit them to make them look interesting and unique. I would just search for rules of photography or tips and tricks in the area you want advice on, and watch away!

aturbow

Hey Lexi, this is going to sound silly, but go watch a ton of YouTube. Haha I am photographer with a portfolio, and have been for quite some time. I looked for some books and other aids on the subject but nothing had anything near the amount of freedom and variety that YouTube had. On there you can find anything from which lens to use for which shot, to composition of shots, to how to edit them to make them look interesting and unique. I would just search for rules of photography or tips and tricks in the area you want advice on, and watch away!
This is great! Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!