Journaling - do you do it? do you think it helps?

kes29

Sep 10, 2018
It seems to be a pretty big "thing" lately. Most self-improvement listicles mention journaling in some way, shape or form. But there are so many different ways to journal it's sort of hard to find the right fit for you and dive in.

Do you journal? If so, what's your routine? Before bed? Or maybe first thing in the morning before your day really starts?

Do you have a set "goal" with journaling? Or do you just write whatever comes to mind?

michalaw

Sep 6, 2018
Hello! I have been writing in a journal since I was a little girl. It is my favorite way to decompress and put all my thoughts out of my head and on paper. I try to journal every day, but sometimes I don't have anything to write about. So, I journal the best when I feel like I need to vent or just get what's going on in my head out of my head.

Since I have been journaling for almost my entire life, I have found so many ways to journal and I love that. I mostly write in my journal like a diary. But, I have been recently getting into bullet journaling. This is a journal that has more of a creative aspect to it, and you can create what you need at the moment. I highly recommend trying bullet journaling if you haven't yet!

kes29

Sep 10, 2018
Hello! I have been writing in a journal since I was a little girl. It is my favorite way to decompress and put all my thoughts out of my head and on paper. I try to journal every day, but sometimes I don't have anything to write about. So, I journal the best when I feel like I need to vent or just get what's going on in my head out of my head.

Since I have been journaling for almost my entire life, I have found so many ways to journal and I love that. I mostly write in my journal like a diary. But, I have been recently getting into bullet journaling. This is a journal that has more of a creative aspect to it, and you can create what you need at the moment. I highly recommend trying bullet journaling if you haven't yet!
I've seen a lot about bullet journaling, but it seems like so much more work. Maybe I see ones that are just overly complicated? I want something fairly simple that I don't have to put a whole lot of effort into.

I bought this for myself at the start of this year: https://www.amazon.com/Lists-Happin...8&qid=1536893778&sr=8-3&keywords=list+journal

It's beautiful, and gives me the sort of "guided" template that I need to make myself write.

I got this one the year before: https://www.amazon.com/52-Lists-Pro..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=17SVTW0M9KZX386YY4R0

They're good, but sometimes it's hard to strictly list things. That's why I'm hunting for another option.

michalaw

Sep 6, 2018
I've seen a lot about bullet journaling, but it seems like so much more work. Maybe I see ones that are just overly complicated? I want something fairly simple that I don't have to put a whole lot of effort into.

I bought this for myself at the start of this year: https://www.amazon.com/Lists-Happin...8&qid=1536893778&sr=8-3&keywords=list+journal

It's beautiful, and gives me the sort of "guided" template that I need to make myself write.

I got this one the year before: https://www.amazon.com/52-Lists-Pro..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=17SVTW0M9KZX386YY4R0

They're good, but sometimes it's hard to strictly list things. That's why I'm hunting for another option.
I have found a lot of easy to follow guides on Pinterest if you are looking to start your own bullet journal, but I understand, it can be hard to start especially if you are lacking inspiration.

ckang96

Aug 29, 2018
I journal intermittently. I keep a diary and a folder on my laptop for random thoughts I need to get out, and I read through them sometimes. I was a little alarmed to see how negative they were, but then I realized that's because I always use it to feel better when I'm overwhelmed. I'm usually too mindful of others to vent properly, so writing down my feelings when I'm sad, angry, or simply stressed out helps me to shift my perspective on negative situations.

marv226

Aug 29, 2018
When I was working a 9-to-5 job, I liked to journal when I got home from work as a way to unwind. It usually became a brain dump. It also helped me transition from the job I did all day, which I didn't like, to the creative things I did in the evening, which I loved (still do).

kes29

Sep 10, 2018
When I was working a 9-to-5 job, I liked to journal when I got home from work as a way to unwind. It usually became a brain dump. It also helped me transition from the job I did all day, which I didn't like, to the creative things I did in the evening, which I loved (still do).
I had never thought to use it as a transition tool. That's really interesting! I usually write before bed, but I can totally how doing it first when you come home would be really handy. Do you actually find the time to do it? I know most people go home and dive right into chores/pets/kids/dinner/whatever else is going on.

r.nuno29

Sep 6, 2018
I have found that I lack interest when it comes to journaling. I started to journal about 5 months ago. My goal was to write once a day (every night) but then it got to the point where there wasn’t much to write about so I began to write when I felt the need to. After doing this I got lazy and stopped journaling. I think it’s best to keep a consistent routine. Even if you’re only jotting down a few sentences this will help clear your mind. I found that writing at night is a good way to unwind and get a good nights rest.

marv226

Aug 29, 2018
I had never thought to use it as a transition tool. That's really interesting! I usually write before bed, but I can totally how doing it first when you come home would be really handy. Do you actually find the time to do it? I know most people go home and dive right into chores/pets/kids/dinner/whatever else is going on.
I have to admit that I didn't do it every day but I did it when I needed to switch from my day job mindset to my writer mindset.

Somayemo2

Dec 27, 2018
I love making bullet journal. I've made it for about 4 years. But the problem is sometimes I can't stick to some specific tasks. For example do some exercise or pray are tasks that I always write in my bullet journal but never happens and this is very annoying and i get disappointed.
What is your suggestion to solve this problem?