What's new

Job Interview Prep

Nick90

I have big job interview coming up, and I'm really nervous. It's a job that I'd be perfect for and I'm really hoping to get it. What sort of things would you suggest I do to prep and give myself the best shot at getting it?

natjacobsmeier

Honestly, I know this sounds like the opposite of what you want, but I try not to think way too much about it. If you really want the job and know you’regood for it, then all you can do is answer what you know and be yourself. If you overthink it, sometimes you start to mess up your words because you’ve rehearsed it too much.

On the other hand, what I like to prep is relating myself to the companies motto or values. How I would fit well with their values or their work environment, and a big one is what you can bring to the company!

r.nuno29

I am the type of person that needs to feel prepared when walking into an interview. For this reason, I like to practice my answers and think about how I plan on introducing myself since most interviewers start of with "tell me about yourself" or something along those lines. Ask yourself why you want that job, inform yourself about the company, and write down why you are the ideal candidate. When you arrive to your interview breathe, smile, and be yourself!

SteedBonnet

I have big job interview coming up, and I'm really nervous. It's a job that I'd be perfect for and I'm really hoping to get it. What sort of things would you suggest I do to prep and give myself the best shot at getting it?
I would do a little research about the company's history, mission statement, etc. In the past, I've even tried to research information pertaining to the individual or individuals who were going to be interviewing me, if I were privy to that information. Making a personal connection with an interviewer can be the one thing that sets a candidate apart from the other potential hires.

laforth

I am the type of person that needs to feel prepared when walking into an interview. For this reason, I like to practice my answers and think about how I plan on introducing myself since most interviewers start of with "tell me about yourself" or something along those lines. Ask yourself why you want that job, inform yourself about the company, and write down why you are the ideal candidate. When you arrive to your interview breathe, smile, and be yourself!
Definitely inform yourself about the company. Scope out their website, find out their background and their outlook for the future. Ask if there is room for advancement, what is a typical day like, do they offer training, etc. During the interview, be conscious of your mannerisms - don't cross your arms, sit straight with your shoulders back, just relax and smile. Portray confidence even if you don't feel it! Give it your best shot, that's all you can do. Good luck!

btelli

Most importantly, be yourself. If you walk into an interview consciously trying to be something you’re not, there will be a lot more pressure, which will make you more nervous. But obviously remain professional too, especially with mannerisms as others have said. It definitely helps if you’re interviewing with people that are a little laid back, but that can’t be helped. Just relax, smile, and do your best!

I also recommend doing research on the company and perhaps the person or people you would be interviewing with. It shows that you put in some effort and actually care about the company you might potentially be working for.

I always bring copies of my resume (and cover letter if applicable) as well. It shows preparedness if they weren’t able to print a copy for themselves to reference. Have any questions you might have for them prepared in advance too.

Nick90

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I had the interview and it went really well. I did a lot of research, brought my resume and did my best to be myself. Here's hoping I get it!