What's new

Introverts in Jobs for Extroverts

WendyM

What strategies do you use to handle the exhaustion that comes from working in an extrovert-related job/profession when you are an introvert by nature?

dansecaribe

I have been here before, having to work in retail jobs and customer service positions. It burned me out most of the time and was very difficult for me to work optimally. I found that not working too much and allowing myself some time to rest and do things that I enjoy, like reading and being among nature, really helped me recharge and gather some strength before having to go into work. I hope you find this useful! :)

JJ1203

Hi Wendy,

I just recently discovered that I am an introvert. For most of my life I thought I was an extrovert because I love people. However, I have realized that I have to have almost an equal amount of recovery time after being around people. It seems to be proportionate to the amount of time and people. For this reason I have started planning for this down time. If it is a full-time job, I would suggest using your breaks to get alone during the day in order to carry you through until you can get home. After that, figure out what activities (or non-activities!) recharge you the most. Then do those things guilt free. I used to feel guilty for being "unproductive" during those times, especially if I had a long list of things that needed done. Now I realize that those times are vital to be being able to get back up and complete all that I need to complete. I hope this helps you!

Master

Working in this kind of environment for an introvert may be very soul-crushing and hard.

The best thing you can do for yourself is to revert to a more introvert-friendly job and if that's not possible, try to adapt as much as you can, have some alone time and time to think your ideas through before you execute them. I believe if you spoke to your boss about this, he would be very open to allow you some alone-time in return for increased performance on your part which is bound to happen if you're allowed to think freely [:

Ssandra

Well... My approach was to just push through and eventually after a year have to quit due to a burnout. I do not recommend this strategy :)

If you like your job and it is worth it for you to find strategies, then I would say what others said before.

However, think if you really want to keep doing this job, if it is worth the exhaustion that comes with it, or if you might not be better off finding a different job.

In my case it was not just the extrovert nature of the job, it was also the cold calling (I hate calling on the phone, and I have some mild social anxiety. Not the best combo for a cold calling job), having to deal with constant pressure. Not just deadlines to get things done that are within your power to do, but also deadlines for sales, which are not in your control.

Added to that the fact that the entire office would applaud when you do make a sale, and I HATE being the center of attention.... yeah, not my job at all.