What's new

In Search of Some Advice

r.nuno29

I recently graduated from college and am struggling to find a job. I have so much experience in my career field, but for one reason or another I am not being offered the jobs I actually want. I decided to become a part of this forum for a few reasons. I like the idea of venting, but more so hope to receive some guidance or suggestions on how to deal with the obstacles life throws at you. I have enjoyed reading the published posts thus far and hope to continue learning from everyone's thoughts and advice.

nfilas

Hi,
First of all, congrats on your graduation. My only advice here is if you feel as if you have exhausted your own abilities to find a job thus far and have waited long enough, then I would suggest going with a company that helps you find positions. They make take a percentage of your pay for a few months and you may even be under contract with them for the first 90 days or even 6 months but if you do well at th job there is a good chance they will hire you on from the staffing agency. My husband ended up doing this and his contract with the staff agency was 90 days then the actual company hired him on and this increased his pay as well. Just make sure you ask the staffing agency all of their contract information first and if you don’t like it, go to another one. Good luck!

r.nuno29

Hi,
First of all, congrats on your graduation. My only advice here is if you feel as if you have exhausted your own abilities to find a job thus far and have waited long enough, then I would suggest going with a company that helps you find positions. They make take a percentage of your pay for a few months and you may even be under contract with them for the first 90 days or even 6 months but if you do well at th job there is a good chance they will hire you on from the staffing agency. My husband ended up doing this and his contract with the staff agency was 90 days then the actual company hired him on and this increased his pay as well. Just make sure you ask the staffing agency all of their contract information first and if you don’t like it, go to another one. Good luck!
Thank you for this information! I never considered this. I'm going to look into staffing agencies if I don't hear back from a job soon.

lpvander

I actually went through a very similar situation after I graduated from college! I couldn't find or wasn't offered the kinds of jobs I really wanted! My advice to you is what my teachers, friends, and family said to me around the same time, although I was either not able or not willing to follow that advice. One of their tips was to move to a city that had more posted offers of the kinds of jobs I'd like. This piece of advice is a difficult one to follow, as it's really expensive to move and even more expensive to live in certain cities. But if I had the money, I would have definitely done so, because other places offer different opportunities for different areas of expertise. For example, where I live in North Carolina, there are no job prospects for film writing (my area), but there are a ton of opportunities in Los Angeles, New York City, Atlanta, etc (really expensive to live areas). Another tip I got was to pursue opportunities offered or found that are not exactly your interests, but could work as excellent springboard opportunities to the jobs you actually like. Like in my case, I love to write, but I love to write most specifically movie reviews. However, I was able to get a job after graduation that was writing for a local paper - mostly coverage of events and profiles. In summary, no matter where your interests lay, try to find ways to center your present situation around that goal in whatever way you can!