What's new

How to pull yourself out a funk

kes29

We've all been there. A bad day where it seems everything goes wrong. Or just maybe nothing goes right.

Sometimes it's all too tempting to say "screw it!" and buy yourself some greasy fast food and your alcohol of choice and just unwind in front of the tv for the night.

But, we all also know this isn't the best decision ever.

So how do you break yourself out a funk? Whether it's a bad day or an entire bad week, how do you break the cycle of feeling down and gloomy?

For me, I've been trying to make myself go for a run - exercise is great for me for that. Or I make myself a homemade meal. Something that isn't overly complicated but still something that takes focus and effort to put together.

Solson124

kes29 - I completely agree. It's those days when you're tired (mentally and emotionally) and perhaps even sleep deprived, that you need to power through and treat your body right. If you eat poorly, it'll trickle down to affecting your sleep and overall health.

In fact, there's a direct link between sleep deprivation and weight gain! According to the National Sleep Foundation's 2013 International Bedroom Poll, the amount of sleep the average person gets each night has steadily decreased over the course of the last 100 years. At the same time, obesity rates have skyrocketed. When the brain is tired, the prefrontal cortex - part that controls impulses and decision making - isn't working at full capacity. That's when you're most likely to give in to cravings for greasy fast food, like you said!

These habits are formed overtime - and often begin in teenage years. That's why forming habits early and fighting cravings up front will more likely lead to a healthier, happier you!

btelli

We've all been there. A bad day where it seems everything goes wrong. Or just maybe nothing goes right.

Sometimes it's all too tempting to say "screw it!" and buy yourself some greasy fast food and your alcohol of choice and just unwind in front of the tv for the night.

But, we all also know this isn't the best decision ever.

So how do you break yourself out a funk? Whether it's a bad day or an entire bad week, how do you break the cycle of feeling down and gloomy?

For me, I've been trying to make myself go for a run - exercise is great for me for that. Or I make myself a homemade meal. Something that isn't overly complicated but still something that takes focus and effort to put together.
Exercise really helps me get out of a funk too. It can be very refreshing, sometimes exhilarating. Often times, I take my dog for a walk with me so she can get some exercise too and we get some bonding time together. The hardest part is getting up and doing it, but if you remind yourself of how good you feel afterwards, it really helps.

laforth

You are not alone. When this happens to me, I acknowledge the emotion (anger, fear, tired, etc.) and just let myself sit with it for a little bit. What am I angry about? What is making me nervous? Maybe I'll cry it out and take a nap. Sometimes we just need a good cry, right? There is nothing wrong with having negative emotions; it is normal. One bad day doesn't equal a bad life. And, when I'm ready to move on and feel better, I first use essential oils. Check out Plant Therapy for great products at a reasonable price - https://www.planttherapy.com/ Roller ball oils are my favorite. Another thing I'll try is simply going for a walk around the block, sunshine does wonders for the soul! Even if it's just 5 minutes, get your blood pumping, exercise releases endorphins, improving your mood. Or, I'll look up inspirational quotes on Pinterest...take a drive with good music...eat some chocolate... :)

Solson124

Yes, exercise is definitely the key for me too! To hold myself accountable, I sign up for a marathon once a year. I've been doing it for four years now and it works. It forces me to regiment myself and create a routine that makes me follow a concrete schedule.

It's the same for half marathons too! If you're feeling like a full marathon is too much, the half marathon is always a great way to keep yourself in shape without being a crazy runner.

Nick90

I always exercise. It helps without a doubt.
Same here. Even when things are feeling really bad, just doing a few push ups or going for a walk breaks me out of things. It can be really tough to take that first step, but it's so worth it in the end.

aawaldron

Going for walks helps me a lot. There's something about the air around dusk that helps me relax. I love cool, brisk air. I feel like it erases my mind. Crying also helps, if you're into that. I try not to feel sorry for myself. I just think how even though it may seem like things can't get worse...They always can and I'm just glad I can wake up another day and try to fix the problems.