What's new

How to -not- undercut yourself

SocialShelley

I find it hard not to sell myself short because I don't want to come across as arrogant or full of myself. I also know it's important to display confidence. How do you display modesty to family members and business professionals without underselling your own value?

jay05

As I have gotten older I have started to realize that confidence does not translate to others through being boastful and arrogant. I have found that true confidence has nothing at all to do with self-promotion, but is, in fact, quiet. Some people have referred to this characteristic as “quiet confidence.” Counter-intuitively, I think that to come across to others as confident we have to know our weaknesses, allow life to humble us a bit, and see that, despite our limitations, we can survive, and that we are born with enough strengths to balance out our weaknesses. More importantly, I believe we gain true confidence as we accept our own limitations and become aware of our best qualities.

When we walk through the world with humility and wisdom and with a calm and quiet demeanor, others sense our personal power without us having to say one word. My suggestion would be to get to know yourself, to become open and vulnerable when looking within.

My favorite technique for really getting to know myself is meditation. Meditation has a way of cutting to the core of your very being and helping you to find a home at the center where you can sit in quiet confidence.