What's new

How to keep your savings

SocialShelley

How do you actually motivate yourself to stay focused on maintaining those savings? There always seems to be a bill or an emergency that eats the money away before it ever reaches the savings account. :)

epalmer

A few years ago, I set up an automatic transfer from my checking to my savings account for just 50$ every Friday. That’s really helped me because I don’t realize I’m saving any money, but when I look at my savings a month later I find I’ve saved 200-250$! It can be hard to keep that money in savings, but at least when I do need to spend it I have been putting money into it consistently.

shrills

I've implemented savings apps into my routine. My favorite is Qapital. You can set rules directly from your bank account, to round your spare change up to each dollar and otherwise passively save money without having to try. Acorns is good too, so I would check them out in the store if you have a smart phone.

negedemeg

When I was working full-time, I'd religiously follow the 50-30-20 rule which means you spend 50% of your income on your living expenses, spend 30% on fun times/experiences and save 20%. If you're able to do it, it's totally worth it. It doesn't necessarily even have to be those amounts but if you follow a formula and you're consistent, it will pay off in the end. I also had two separate accounts so I never even touched the money that was saved. Seeing the money pile up in my account made me feel safer and was enough to motivate me.