What's new

How to get out of a work rut

chsarahahmed

Recently, I’ve been feeling like I am stuck in a rut, professionally. My previous job has ended and I feel like I have been unable to achieve the goals that I had set for myself, and my external circumstances are controlling my life. I feel like I am unable to move forward and make my life better. What suggestions do you guys have for someone who feels like nothing is working out for them?

anbrown72

My suggestion to you is to take this time to build your skillset. Learn something new that will help to advance you in your career or even motivate you to begin a new career. It's a good time to "soul search"- to find what brings you joy and what you want to give to the world. Good luck! You can achieve greatness!

happygolucky

I second the suggestion to build your skillset. This last year I took some online classes to learn some new software and I discovered I really enjoyed them. I haven't been able to use these skills on the job yet but I'm now motivated to find ways to implement these skills. This is giving me a set of "fresh eyes" to look at my work with. What started out as just a way to pad my resume turned into something that I really liked.

InvestedWriter

Start by narrowing your focus. You have goals that you want to achieve, but sometimes you have to take them one step at a time. Think about just one manageable step you can take to get closer to one of those goals and take it. Do it again for that goal or another goal, just make sure you're always moving forward. Once you start creating that momentum, the rest will follow.

Often the biggest hindrance to success is external distractions. We get so bogged down by this crazy flurry of people and information all around us that we can't find the time to think straight. Managing your time and seeing tangible progress will help you avoid getting stuck in that rut.

AllisonE

Building your skill set and narrowing your focus are both great ideas! I also recommend creating a productive morning routine that will motivate you for the rest of the day. Tasks to include in your morning routine could be writing in a journal, reading a motivating book, updating tasks you wish to complete in your calendar, etc.!