How do you remember what you read?

aawaldron

Sep 28, 2018
I love to learn and read new things, whether they are books, articles, or other documents for classes I'm taking. But I have the hardest time soaking up and remembering what I'm reading. I'll get through a few pages of a book and find myself having to go back and re-read and re-read all the pages again. It's almost like I lose concentration. Especially when it comes to textbooks or things I need to be reading for school. It's not that I'm bored with the material, I just can't seem to soak anything into my brain! Any tips or tricks to remembering things easier, or better ways to help remember material?

Sep 12, 2018
I have the same problem! That’s why I don’t usually read, unless it’s an article here and there. But lately I’ve been reading more things that have fortunately been keeping my interest.

Anyways, I always found it helpful in college to clear the area of distractions. I couldn’t retain anything unless the room was completely quiet. No TV. No radio. No cell phone in arms reach. Nothing. If I was sitting in the student community center trying to read with people walking by and having their own conversations, it was like trying to suck up water with a brick. So i had to do most of my reading at home or in a very remote section of the library.

You could also try taking notes on what’s important, or highlighting important passages (if you’re ok with marking up the book.) That was always helpful for me because I could go back to reference it without reading the whole thing all over again. It is helpful for referring back when having a class discussion as well.

Yomna

Sep 28, 2018
I actually also have the same problem and found that sometimes if it is "too" quiet, my mind drifts off and starts to loose focus but also if it is too noisy, I cannot process much information. What I found to really help me is to be in an environment with limited distractions but also to have some non-vocal music in the background just to keep my mind in the present moment. The thing about the mind though is that not everything will work for everyone and there could be several reasons why a person is not able to remember much or lose focus quickly. I believe the best option is to try a variety of things until you find your solution. That was how it was for me personally.

aawaldron

Sep 28, 2018
Thank you for your advice! I think I'll have to try and see what works for me. I've always just tried doing the same thing over and over hoping that it'll change. But that clearly isn't the right way to try and figure things out. It's about trying new things.

Jun 25, 2018
What I do is to read first the passages that somehow I have a background or knowledge because of this I can easily understand the succeeding passages and can memorize it easier and most of all complete sleep is really a crucial factor for your brain to function properly.

MichelleSP

Sep 28, 2018
It sounds strange, but it really helps when I repeat the material out loud. When I had an important test coming up in college, I would highlight the important material, then read it out loud, emphasizing the key parts. I probably sounded crazy if anyone overheard me, but I swear by it!

Jun 25, 2018
It sounds strange, but it really helps when I repeat the material out loud. When I had an important test coming up in college, I would highlight the important material, then read it out loud, emphasizing the key parts. I probably sounded crazy if anyone overheard me, but I swear by it!
Yes, that was really a trend especially in high school and college to bring a highlighter I remember before when I was still in highschool most of the girls have a highlighter with them wherever they go and almost all the passages of their books are already filled with highlights. I guess it is really effective because most of my schoolmates who are using a highlighter before are all achievers.

MichelleSP

Sep 28, 2018
Yes, that was really a trend especially in high school and college to bring a highlighter I remember before when I was still in highschool most of the girls have a highlighter with them wherever they go and almost all the passages of their books are already filled with highlights. I guess it is really effective because most of my schoolmates who are using a highlighter before are all achievers.
It might have been effective, but the highlighting isn't the key, it's the reading out loud to yourself :)