What's new

Has anyone used Rosetta Stone? What do you like and/or dislike about it?

Sflom

If you have used Rosetta Stone, I would love your insight on what you liked and/or disliked about the language learning program.

settinggoals321

I think it is a very helpful program. It has a variety of languages, and it uses helpful techniques that are easy to understand. However, in my experience, it was really difficult for me to stay invested. Rosetta Stone can be engaging and hold people's attention, but for me, I started to get a little bored after a few tries. I would recommend incorporating something else alongside Rosetta Stone, just to keep it interesting. Maybe incorporate several different language programs, but that might start to get complicated. Just add something to the mix that will hold your interest.

Cleverviolet

I've used Rosetta Stone, and I thought it was a great program. I appreciated the focus on all aspects of language (reading, writing, listening, speaking), and the large number of visuals. They often use the same picture for the same vocabulary word, which helps me connect the word to the picture in my head, and is another way for me to learn the word.

I did have trouble sticking with it. For me, it wasn't that it wasn't interesting enough. It's just that in general, it's hard to stick with an independent language learning program! Plus it's just hard to stick with such a huge learning program. Follow through is tough.

Bryan411

If you have used Rosetta Stone, I would love your insight on what you liked and/or disliked about the language learning program.
Rosetta Stone is a great program, but nothing beats immersion in the environment. You should talk to people or even watch movies that are in different languages. I picked up several words from watching foreign films. The key is immersion and Rosetta Stone only partially accomplishes that goal.

Ecoleman24

My husband used Rosetta Stone to try and learn Japanese but found it hard to follow as the lessons progressed but thought it was a decent program overall. I personally only tried it a couple of times out of curiosity and I too found it a bit difficult. It would not be my first choice at learning a second language especially from scratch.

tdp1205

I have used Rosetta Stone for Spanish.
Things I like about it:
- mimics a more natural way of learning language
- fun like a game
Things I don't like:
- once you get past the very early vocabulary, some things are hard to show pictorially, for example, concepts
- I learn well by seeing things in print, and RS (at least when I used it) had no printed materials with it whatsoever

Hope this helps!
tdp