What's new

Handling Being Overwhelmed

BlueEdge

As a teacher, I sometimes find myself full of anxiety and overwhelmed at the tasks in front of me. It could be that a lesson plan isn't going well, a student is misbehaving, or administration is not providing the support I need. Throughout the years, I have talked with my peers and have read self-help magazines and books looking for little tips to help lower my stress level when I am in that moment. One of the most effective tricks I have found is simply opening my mouth a little and letting my tongue go limp for at least one minute. By forcing my tongue and jaw to relax I am signaling to my brain to slow my heart rate, thus calming myself and lowering that pesky anxiety. Does anyone else out there have some interesting little tricks they use to calm themselves down from anxiety? I would love to add more methods to my repertoire!

Tina

If you're afraid of your boss, just imagine him sitting naked in the office - this advice always helps me :ROFLMAO:

PamelaC

A few things that have helped me:
1. Deep breath - take in some deep breaths, that fill the stomach, and then letting them out very slowly. I usually do that about 10 times with my eyes closed.
2. Taking a walk - I will usually do this while I am listening to some sort of uplifting podcast or personal development speech
3. Meditation - I haven't been consistent with it, but I definitely feel a better calm afterwards. This may not work if you're the type of person who gets frustrated when you can't stop the noise in your head.

One thing not to do is to eat - I learned that one the hard way and am now dealing with an extra 20 pounds to work off. ;)

Good luck.

RalphAnthony81

When I am feeling overwhelmed or anxious, I project myself to a place where I felt the most calm, the beach. Now this only has to be for maybe thirty seconds but it totally puts me at ease. I envision myself under a palm tree looking out onto the ocean. I've learned through doing yoga to also try and find an object that brings you inner peace when conducting hard poses. I picture an elephant standing on a ball and as corny as that sounds, that immediately calms me down.

BlueEdge

These are some awesome tips! Thanks everyone! I will have to definitely give some of these a try during the next school year or whenever I happen to get stressed out next.