What's new

Growing up with your own child

jtribbett1

I'm 22 years old and I'm the mother of an incredible 3-year-old boy.

When I found out I was pregnant with him, I was in complete shock. I was the kind of person who basically had their entire life planned and was a complete control freak. Having him humbled the hell out of me. I had to learn how to go with the flow. Now, I realize that I can't plan everything out and I can not control anyone but myself.

But I'm young and I want to be the best parent I can to my child. I realize I have a lot to learn in life and as a mother, but how do I focus on my own personal development while also catering to my child's development? I usually end up neglecting myself and other responsibilities because I am trying to be "present" with my son and cater to his needs. How do you "grow up" while raising a child?

Ssandra

What helps me is to remember that my daughter will learn from me. Not from what I tell her or teach her, but from what she sees from me.

I want her to be happy, so I have to be happy. I want her to be able to do self care, so I have to do self care. I want her to have a great balance between taking care of others and herself, so I have to have that balance.

I hope this helps you.

jtribbett1

What helps me is to remember that my daughter will learn from me. Not from what I tell her or teach her, but from what she sees from me.

I want her to be happy, so I have to be happy. I want her to be able to do self care, so I have to do self care. I want her to have a great balance between taking care of others and herself, so I have to have that balance.

I hope this helps you.
I appreciate your response. I think I need to do a little self reflection. Thank you!