What's new

Getting Motivated to Work Out

Nick90

I've been going through a lot of personal transformation lately, doing mindfulness and working on not procrastinating and being lazy about getting what I need to get done, done. I've been really good about changing these parts of my life, but the one thing that I can't seem to tackle is making time for exercise. Is anyone else having the same problem? Anyone have any good tips about getting motivated and incorporating exercise into your routine?

lpvander

I found that digital media has a lot of opportunity to remind us not to be lazy/procrastinate. I have this (severe) problem as well. Here are a few apps I use and set them to remind me at certain times:

1. Headspace - a meditation app with dozens of options to practice mindfulness (a key aspect to be healthy mentally).
2. 30 Day Fitness Challenge - this workout app includes workouts for butt/arm/abs/leg/full body that have the number of reps/sets to do, as well as animation clips to show you how to master the form. Has various plans (easy/medium/hard).
3. HabitBull - a tracking app that allows you to simply click yes/no each day for certain habits you want to keep up or break. You're encouraged to have a streak of yes's!

Solson124

I find that making time for exercise is something I struggle with every week. I feel so tired when I get home from work, so I never want to change out of work clothes and go for a run or hit the gym.
Instead, I want to lay on the couch and not do anything - which is crazy because I have a desk job that's pretty sedentary.

I love your recommendations, lpvander! One of my coworkers uses the Headspace meditation app regularly and finds it very empowering. I think I'm going to give it a try, too.

To combat my own exercise schedule problems, I try to workout in the morning. But that means making sure I get to bed at a reasonable time. I've turned into quite the night owl! So I try to give myself a deadline to turn off all of my electronics and have quite time. That way, my brain has an easier time shutting off each night. I find I get a deeper sleep the more time I put between my electronic screens and my bedtime.

Nick90

Thanks, all! Some great advice here. I've heard great things about the Headspace app, will definitely check that out. Will also look into those fitness apps as well.

MichelleSP

The only thing that worked for me was working out right after I get home from work - no exceptions. I use FitnessBlender.com. They have programs you can buy that take you through 2 or 4 or 8 weeks. I really needed a program that told me exactly what to do. They also have tons of free videos, I just didn't know how to structure my own workout plan!

jacque_mich

I do the same thing Solson124, turn off everything at a certain time of night. For me, getting enough sleep determines how motivated I will be the next day.
I started working out a few years ago, at first it was an option, an if I felt like it that day kind of thing. What got me into a routine was making it more of a priority, not an option. I started working out at the same time every day. It was part of my routine, and not doing it felt like something was missing. Then I started looking forward to it, now I love it. I'm not sure if it works that way for everyone, but I have seen it happen in other people as well. Those who stick with it usually have designated days and times to work out. Having a work out partner helps a lot. A few of my friends started working out in a group, they keep each other motivated each day to go. Also, I started with something I felt comfortable with: swimming, running, if I get bored I would stop. I've definitely gotten bored a few times, so I learned how to lift weights, found new programs and ideas, whatever keeps your mind engaged in the process.

chl0206

The only thing that worked for me was working out right after I get home from work - no exceptions. I use FitnessBlender.com. They have programs you can buy that take you through 2 or 4 or 8 weeks. I really needed a program that told me exactly what to do. They also have tons of free videos, I just didn't know how to structure my own workout plan!
I've also found the FitnessBlender YouTube videos to be a great resource for working out at home!