What's new

Friend/Family interferences in relationships

Omar1292

When do you think that someone’s advice or opinion is healthy and okay in a couple’s issue or problem? I’m talking about a friend or family’s advice not a counselor’s input.

JohnK

I think you have to weigh whether or not the person has a fair point. If they're giving advice because they have your best interests at heart, it's healthy to listen and consider what they say. If they're doing it out of jealousy or some other less-noble motivation, you might want to ignore that advice.

meribaker

First things first-did you ask for advice or an opinion? Regardless of whether or not you invited the advice, think about how that person's opinion or advice makes you feel. Does it make you feel better, does it make sense, and is that advice coming from an objective perspective? Most people automatically feel the need to offer advice and try to help you fix the problem when you present them with an issue. If they keep offering you unsolicited advice, it becomes problematic in that you start not trusting your own instincts and decision making skills. Boundaries are important in situations like this and it becomes imperative to your well-being that you make those boundaries clear. Hope this helps..Trust yourself!

Paty100

It entirely depends on how much you trust the person. If you trust the person, and believes the person won't give you advice that will lead you astray, then it's totally good.
But some people's advice can be unwarranted. Most importantly follow your heart and beliefs. And don't always go asking for advice always.

Uncle Dil

When do you think that someone’s advice or opinion is healthy and okay in a couple’s issue or problem? I’m talking about a friend or family’s advice not a counselor’s input.

If they can actually relate to the subject, I would say their opinion is healthy or okay. Otherwise, a lot of times people just seem to give their opinion on anything and everything and it's not really helping out your situation.