What's new

Forgetting a Language

btelli

Between high school and college, I took 5 years of French. I was never able to consider myself fluent even though 5 years seems like a long time, but I probably reached a little above an elementary level understanding of the language.

I think a lot of this had to do with the fact that there were so many weeks between the transition from high school to college, then French class in college was only two or three times per week, and I never travelled to a French-speaking country. I’ve always been told that traveling and being forced to use the language helps people learn better.

What are some tips to help myself remember all that knowledge? Or do I have to relearn it all over again?

I’ve tried apps like Duolingo, but my recollection is so spotty, some lessons feel like a waste of time because I remember all the material, whereas others are too difficult because I don’t even remember learning it. Part of me also doubts these apps really help with fluency and getting past that elementary level understanding.

Yomna

Yea I actually have the same experience with French and found that the apps are not really aimed at getting you to that "expert" level. Something I found beneficial was to look for online language classes where the instructor actually has conversations with you. The thing about a language is that if you don't use it in conversation, the theoretical knowledge of it gradually fades away. I also find that watching French movies and listening to French music (with lyrics included) helps increase my vocabulary.

btelli

Yea I actually have the same experience with French and found that the apps are not really aimed at getting you to that "expert" level. Something I found beneficial was to look for online language classes where the instructor actually has conversations with you. The thing about a language is that if you don't use it in conversation, the theoretical knowledge of it gradually fades away. I also find that watching French movies and listening to French music (with lyrics included) helps increase my vocabulary.
Thank you! I enjoy some French music but I will have to look into some French movies and online courses. I wish there was an app that could help people achieve expert level fluency. With AI technology it seems by now it should be possible. Who knows, maybe it is and I just haven’t come across it or it isn’t in the hands of the general public yet.