What's new

Follow Your Heart, It's Not Just A Cliche

Mybestlife

There are the obvious benefits to success ie. hard work, determination, resilience etc... But I’ve personally found that I’ve had my most successes when I followed my gut and my heart. That sometimes means saying no to jobs or even careers, if it’s not truly what you want to do. Don’t bother wasting your time getting great at something you don’t even truly want to do. I’ve been reading a lot of articles online about people who switched careers and were all the better for it and it serves as inspiration to me as I recently branched out into new career options. (http://www.businessinsider.com/successful-people-who-changed-careers-2017-11) Basically, you can never underestimate the power of doing what you know you were made to do and then going with your gut.

LaVagabonde

I've changed careers several times in my life, and now – in my 50s – I've decided to return to my first passion. It's inspiring to read about others who've done the same thing at my age (or older!) and found success. I've taken jobs that I was good at but didn't particularly enjoy, and I found myself feeling unfulfilled. So here's to following your heart! Are you happy with the choice you made?

yalatorre

I completely agree with this! My parents always wanted me to follow the secure path or the path that they knew due to other family memebers having done the same. I remember being 18 years old and already starting down the same career path as my cousins and I hated it! I didn't feel like I had a purpose. The day I quit my boss also retired. And she told me she never liked what she did and that her dream had always been to ballroom dance, but she was good at the job she had fallen in to. I knew then that I had made the right decision. You should be active in your life and what you want and not be complacent to convenience. Your heart may not always lead you down the easiest path, but it will give you a pulse.

lashley101

I really love this topic and I completely agree that following your heart, or your gut if you will, is definitely more than a cliche/old saying. I think that with people who tend to have more creative interests and passions it can be especially hard to follow your heart in doing what you love. There is so much pressure to get "logical jobs" like jobs in finance, marketing, or some other form of business, that it often discourages creative souls to dismiss what they are truly good at. From an early age, I took a serious interest in writing and wanted to be a writer (still do to be honest). But I always felt like I could only do writing as a hobby and not pursue it seriously because everyone kept saying that it was a deadbeat job and that I would make no money doing that. It's hard to hear things like that, especially when it is what your heart truly loves to do.

Do you guys also think that "following your heart" can be especially difficult for those who want to pursue a creative path? In terms of balancing pressure from external sources telling you to do something "stable" like a business career.

LaVagabonde

I just came across this timely article about a study that suggests that instead of following your heart, you should think in terms of developing your passion and being open to new interests:

“Find your passion” is bad advice, say Yale and Stanford psychologists

From the article: “We need to carefully consider what we communicate to people about interests and passions,” Yale-NUS college psychologist Paul O’Keefe, the lead researcher, tells Quartz. “Parents, teachers, and employers might get the most out of people if they suggest that interests are developed, not simply found. Telling people to find their passion could suggest that it’s within you just waiting to be revealed. Telling people to follow their passion suggests that the passion will do the lion’s share of the work for you.”

What do you think?

ImagineIt!

I really love this topic and I completely agree that following your heart, or your gut if you will, is definitely more than a cliche/old saying. I think that with people who tend to have more creative interests and passions it can be especially hard to follow your heart in doing what you love. There is so much pressure to get "logical jobs" like jobs in finance, marketing, or some other form of business, that it often discourages creative souls to dismiss what they are truly good at. From an early age, I took a serious interest in writing and wanted to be a writer (still do to be honest). But I always felt like I could only do writing as a hobby and not pursue it seriously because everyone kept saying that it was a deadbeat job and that I would make no money doing that. It's hard to hear things like that, especially when it is what your heart truly loves to do.

Do you guys also think that "following your heart" can be especially difficult for those who want to pursue a creative path? In terms of balancing pressure from external sources telling you to do something "stable" like a business career.
"Following your heart," which is to say following your passion, once you've discovered what it is and worked on developing it, is without a doubt more difficult for those whose passion demands a creative outlet. People who are especially creative often do not fit neatly into the boxes into which society loves to place us. And, the pressure from friends and family to do something "stable," something that will guarantee a livable income is enormous. But, in my opinion, we must all follow our heart, or our passion. If we don't, we'll spend our lives wondering what might have been. That's not something I want to be thinking on my death bed. But, by the same token, creative types -- by virtue of their creativity -- are often able to fashion their own niches, to combine divergent paths into something completely new. Something that they can develop into a great income.

It's true that it is not easy to make a decent income in many of the fields that are traditionally considered "creative." They don't call them "starving artists" or "starving writers" for no reason. If one is determined to try their hand at writing the next "Great American Novel," I say go for it. At some point, you know in your gut whether you've got what it takes. If you do, then do whatever you must to pay the bills while you collect rejection letters, knowing that eventually one of those letters is going to be a "yes." And, even if you don't write the next "Great American Novel," you may end up a magazine writer or copywriter who writes short stories on the weekends. We grow and evolve and our passions evolve with us. Making a living and following your heart should never be considered mutually exclusive.

lashley101

I just came across this timely article about a study that suggests that instead of following your heart, you should think in terms of developing your passion and being open to new interests:

From the article: “We need to carefully consider what we communicate to people about interests and passions,” Yale-NUS college psychologist Paul O’Keefe, the lead researcher, tells Quartz. “Parents, teachers, and employers might get the most out of people if they suggest that interests are developed, not simply found. Telling people to find their passion could suggest that it’s within you just waiting to be revealed. Telling people to follow their passion suggests that the passion will do the lion’s share of the work for you.”

What do you think?
Hello! What you said above actually reminded me of a podcast that I had previously listened to with Malcolm Gladwell who talked about passion in the same way you suggested above. In the podcast, he discussed how telling students to "find their passion" as if it is just inside themselves and they need to look harder can actually be more damaging than helpful. I think about my cousin who went to college, majored in business, graduated and now is thinking about re-doing her degree or getting a masters in something she actually likes. Growing up, I could tell it was always difficult for her to quote "find her passion" and for a while she went a long time throughout college with an undeclared major because I think that she was facing so much internal conflict regarding what her "passion" was and thus, what she should major in.

I feel for students like that, whether they are in high school, college, or graduated because I'm sure some if not most feel that there is something "wrong with them" because they simply can't uncover their passion, as if it is buried deep within them and they just need to stumble upon it.

With all that being said, I agree that it is more helpful to look at passion as something that is developed rather than something that is hidden inside of you waiting to be discovered. For some people, it takes them much longer to develop a passion in something and that's okay. I find that my passions grow as I get older and change as a person.

OlgaC

I definitely agree that sometimes you need to listen to your heart. And don't worry too much, things will get better at some point. I remember once I applied for a job but I wasn't chosen for the task and it bothered me for some time. Now when I look back, I am happy I wasn't chosen for that 9 to 5 job, instead I found another opportunity that allowed me to work, travel and have my freedom. That job wasn't a job that I was passionate about, I just wanted to get some income, but in the end everything turned out well. I just relaxed and kept looking. I found a job that I liked and that gave me freedom. So, everything happens for a reason, even when something seems to be a negative thing it can actually be a positive thing for you.

annelill

Thank you so much for posting this! It’s so encouraging to hear all of these positive stories and vibes. I’ve just started accepting that the career path for me might be to follow my heart and gut and just go for it. I’ve already noticed I feel happier and more satisfied with what I’m doing day to day. It’s also so much easier to motivate myself to work hard, which is vital! Especially when it comes to something like making art, loving what you do is so important

Mybestlife

Hello! What you said above actually reminded me of a podcast that I had previously listened to with Malcolm Gladwell who talked about passion in the same way you suggested above. In the podcast, he discussed how telling students to "find their passion" as if it is just inside themselves and they need to look harder can actually be more damaging than helpful. I think about my cousin who went to college, majored in business, graduated and now is thinking about re-doing her degree or getting a masters in something she actually likes. Growing up, I could tell it was always difficult for her to quote "find her passion" and for a while she went a long time throughout college with an undeclared major because I think that she was facing so much internal conflict regarding what her "passion" was and thus, what she should major in.

I feel for students like that, whether they are in high school, college, or graduated because I'm sure some if not most feel that there is something "wrong with them" because they simply can't uncover their passion, as if it is buried deep within them and they just need to stumble upon it.

With all that being said, I agree that it is more helpful to look at passion as something that is developed rather than something that is hidden inside of you waiting to be discovered. For some people, it takes them much longer to develop a passion in something and that's okay. I find that my passions grow as I get older and change as a person.

I 100% agree with this. I'm a very creative person and it was never difficult for me to "find my passion." I've always known what I love doing and what makes me happy. The issue is with careers in the arts, let's face it you're gambling passion for safety. It may work out financially or you may have to struggle. I chose a more safe career and ultimately knew it wasn't sustainable for me because I was just so unhappy. I would hate to retire and think, man I really shouldn't have spent my life doing that oh well times up. .. Although, I will say it's probably never too late to find some way to find fulfilment in what you love even if it's not a career. Not to ramble, but another trap can be being good at something and so deciding that that is what you will do. I believe being good at something is a hint at what "you're meant to do" so to speak, but actually wanting to do it is the clincher.

chsarahahmed

What do you think?
I totally agree with what they say. I think that nowadays people put undue pressure on themselves to find their "passion." And if they can't find something they are passionate about, they feel depressed and unfulfilled. That's not really how it works. Passion is not some hidden talent you waiting to be found that will magically change your life. Passion is just something you enjoy doing. Mark Manson has written an article "Screw finding your passion", which really spoke to me. It says:

"Who says you need to make money doing what you love? Since when does everyone feel entitled to love every fucking second of their job? Really, what is so wrong with working an OK normal job with some cool people you like, and then pursuing your passion in your free time on the side? Has the world turned upside-down or is this not suddenly a novel idea to people? Look, here’s another slap in the face for you: every job sucks sometimes. There’s no such thing as some passionate activity that you will never get tired of, never get stressed over, never complain about. It doesn’t exist."

This really spoke to me. The thing is, it is not possible for every one of us to pursue our passion as a full-time career. Sometimes, it's okay to work at a "secure" job and pursue your passion on the side. If you are willing to pursue your passion ONLY IF it makes you money then that's not really your passion, is it?

I know I will be the unpopular minority in saying this but I'll still say it: sure - listen to your heart, but don't let it convince you to make stupid, impractical decisions.

M

magikheart

Hi guys, I'm a believer in following your heart as well. As a matter of fact, it's always been my motto, as lame as that may be. I feel like whenever you listen to what your heart is telling you, it may lead you away from the popular or common decisions in life, but it often is what makes you happiest and drives you. Sure, get married, have kids, etc. may be popular, but maybe you know in your heart that the path less traveled by society is what makes you happiest.

I couldn't agree more. Speaking from personal experience, choosing to follow my passion instead of doing what everyone else is doing, is something that I would never regret. But it's not an easy path, though as there are struggles, constant daily struggles. Still, I wouldn't trade that fire that I feel within me everytime I do what I love, for some boring, regular office job. So, no, following your heart, is not a cliche at all. Instead, it is something that all of us should strive for.